• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Plover sp. in Sydney (1 Viewer)

MKinHK

Mike Kilburn
Hong Kong
I'd be interested in any thoughts on this golden plover sp. I photographed at Long Reef in Sydney this evening.

tempImagemvWcoC.jpg

There is a short Youtube clip here:

It appears to show four primary tips extending beyond the longest tertial, which I believe is a diagnostic feature of American Golden Plover, which is a major rarity here. However this may not be the longest tertial as the bird appears to have moulted one or more other tertials. the bird also appeared less yellow-tinged than the other Pacific Golden plovers present, which also appeared to show the typical short projection beyond the tertials of Pacific Golden Plover.

The visible long tertial also appears to mostly un-notched, which appears also to suggest American.

Many thanks for any thoughts

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
The shortish PP, along with the points outlined by Brian, make this a Pacific for me too in this helpful video. A Red-necked Stint at 18 seconds.

Last edited:
For me Pacific. Body shape/proportions, wing length, leg colour and I have never seen an American GP look like this in winter, with mix of golden and notched scapulars contrasting with pale edged/notched coverts (not that they may not exist, just that I haven't seen them).

Brian

Many thanks Brian

So It seems that, contra the Collins Guide and the CSIRO Australian Bird Guide (revised) guide, four visible primary tips beyond the tertials is not diagnostic for American? I saw a rather complicated article by Martin Reid to this effect.

Could I ask if you have seen the mix of golden and notched scapulars and contrasting with pale/notched coverts in Pacific GP? Interestingly, Collins also mentions contrasting scaps/coverts in American GP.

Cheers,
Mike

Could I ask if you have seen the mix of golden and notched scapulars and contrasting with pale/notched coverts in Pacific GP? Interestingly, Collins also mentions contrasting scaps/coverts in American GP.
Hi Mike. Happy New Year!

Just to address this point. Your bird is showing contrast between old, faded, retained (presumably juvenile) coverts and fresher, gold-fringed winter scapulars. I see similar contrast in feather ages in PGP during the winter in Hong Kong. They can be quite variable in the upperpart pattern and extent of moult, although the retained feathers are not usually as pale as on this bird. I read the text in Collins to refer to birds in fresh juvenile plumage, and it may not apply so well during body moult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back