• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden-winged warbler? (1 Viewer)

CarolineT

Hi,
I am a UK birder on holiday at Cape San Blas in the Florida Panhandle. We were in St Joseph's State Park today and I saw a warbler in a pine tree which was mostly grey apart from bright yellow patches on its wings, and I saw when it moved its head that it also had a yellow patch on its forehead. The only bird I can match it to in the guides I have is female golden-winged warbler but this seems very rare. Is there anything else it could have been?
Thanks

Hi,
I am a UK birder on holiday at Cape San Blas in the Florida Panhandle. We were in St Joseph's State Park today and I saw a warbler in a pine tree which was mostly grey apart from bright yellow patches on its wings, and I saw when it moved its head that it also had a yellow patch on its forehead. The only bird I can match it to in the guides I have is female golden-winged warbler but this seems very rare. Is there anything else it could have been?
Thanks

Could it have been a yellow-rumped warbler? They meet your description and are common in Florida.

Hi Proavis,
Thanks for your reply. I had originally discounted yellow-rumped warbler because the bird I saw did not have a yellow throat, but now I see the "Myrtle" form has a white throat so I guess that's what it must have been. Definitely saw a Hooded Warbler today at St George Island so not a bad consolation prize!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back