• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldfinch Help - Northern California, USA (1 Viewer)

Here is a video recorded from inside the house so you can just leave it muted (otherwise you'll hear children playing :) ).

I've always thought only Lesser came to my feeder but I think I've been seeing some American because of the white undertail.
It is the females that I've been struggling to tell the difference.

As connorco says, both species are present. With the comings and goings of the birds I think there are more Lessers than Americans, but both are present much of the time. You are quite right about the undertail coverts. Another thing to look at is the ends of the tails from below. In American the white goes right to the end; in Lesser it stops short of the end and the tail tip is all black.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back