• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good birds seen from restaurants (1 Viewer)

Common terns formerly bred in the Isle of Man but are now scarce visitors. Although I saw one here last year, I usually have to go on holiday to see them. However, I have never seen as many as I saw on my recent trip to the Azores.

The largest flock of all was in the Marina in Ponta Delgada, and common terns were clearly visible from Doris Bar, where I spent a few happy afternoons in late August, watching the terns while enjoying a beer or two and the bar's special version of a capuchino. The common terns gathered on the stabits on a small jetty. On the 25th, early in my stay, I counted 66, numbers building up to 122 on the 28th. Often one or two terns flew past the terrace outside Doris Bar, and sometimes one perched on the railings very close to where I was sitting. On one occasion several young people were passing and took photographs of the bird with their devices.

At the start of September I spent a few days in Horta, on the island of Faial. Again, there were common terns flying about by the Marina, often catching fish in full view of me sitting with a meal and a beer on the terrace of the famous Bar Sport. On occasion I noticed terns fly away with their fish over the streets towards Porto Pim, where a few immature terns were perching on the black volcanic rocks which stand in the bay.

Last edited:
While in Sud-Tirol last week, as we were sitting outside the Berghaus Ausser Gschlöss in Nationalpark Hohe Tauern, awaiting lunch, two adult Lammergeier drifted up-valley across the mountain slopes above the treeline, followed (during the Gulaschsuppe) by a juvenile Golden Eagle, while lower down, a steady procession of Nutcracker passed down-valley...

PDG, we think!
MJB;)

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread to me, as a veteran birder, but a brand new Bird Forum member.
I'm in the process of building a website of good restaurants and cafes in nice places with good birding while you eat and drink - starting with the UK and Ireland, but I'd like to expand to cover everywhere in due course.
Do you think there would be any interest in this kind of thing?

Thanks Allen
I may open it up to you guys soon, with a view to getting helpful criticism and hopefully details of more places - still need to make it a bit more presentable first - as a pedantic old birder myself I don't want the first flurry of comments to point out mistakes!

Here's a recommendation for your website Ancient Birder - Club le Calao, N'gor, Senegal.

It's on the North side of the Dakar peninsula which sticks out a million miles into the Atlantic. So everything migrating South tracks along the North side of the peninsula before rounding the point. So that's y'know, all the usual pelagic migrants - Bulmer's Petrels, Audouin's Gulls, Scopoli's & Cape Verde Shearwaters, South Polar Skuas...Humpback Whales... Contender for best seawatching restaurant on the planet???

The times I visited - mid-noughties - the food was cosmopolitan fare (pretty good quality) and half-decent local lager. (I'm sure those South Polar Skuas weren't a figment of my imagination though...)

See
http://senegal.seawatching.net/seawatch.html
http://senegal.seawatching.net/seabirds.html

Last edited:
The restaurant/bar terrace at Loch Insh water sports has an incredible view and for me this August there were great views of the resident Ospreys, a pair of Goldeneye and Goosander. Plenty of Scottish specialities in the nearby area too.

Thanks Gam Birder & Angus , I will check these out!
When we get the website up (very soon I hope) we will be asking folk to post directly on there. Crowd Sourcing works....

A great thread Allen.:t:

A few that spring to mind - In Morocco whilst having breakfast on the veranda of the Hotel Yasmina, a small warbler landed on one of the ornamental shrubs. I raised my bins and there was our target bird - Tristram's Warbler, unbelievable!

On our way back to the airport after 2 weeks in Kruger N.P. we stopped in a restaurant and I noticed a few swallows outside. Greater Striped and Pearl Breasted - 2 new birds for the trip.

To top both of these, the birds seen from the top of Canopy Tower in Panama were simply amazing. Too many to mention and well worth getting indigestion for. :eat:

One that stands out is the European scops owl at a restaurant nr Lake Kerkini, Greece in 2005. The waiters must have given us funny looks when half through the meal after someone had picked up the call we all did a runner, but only as far as the garden, where we lamped the culprit as it sat on a branch above us!

Also the open restaurant in the Paradiso Rio De Oro Hotel, Guardalavarca, Cuba where I spent my honeymoon. Some birds were helping themselves to the buffet but I really remember the green heron. Took this from the breakfast table and it got into BBC Wildlife Magazine. Good shot for a caption competition, perhaps not a 'clean' one though!

Attachments

• green heron 4.jpg
    green heron 4.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 44
Best spot for African Blue Tit in Agadir, Morocco was the McDonalds drive through. A birder in our hotel told me about them, and I saw them twice during our stay.

Chinese restaurant in Entebbe, Uganda. Colony of nesting maribou storks in the trees above the tables.
Not a restaurant but chip shop in Aviemore, Scotland. Flyover white tailed eagle carrying a gull in its talons.
Outdoor restaurant at the Beira Mar Hotel in Baga, Goa. Anyone who has ever been there late afternoon / early evening will tell you that birding does not get any easier!

The Ebro Delta and Barcelona

I visited the Ebro Delta with friends Rob and Marg Weller on 23rd and 24th September. Towards the end of the second day's birdwatching we paused for a beer at a pleasant little bar called “Vora Riu”. This is on the bank of the river by Sant Jaume d'Enveja, next to the new road bridge. During our two days birdwatching we had seen many glossy ibises, including one flock which I estimated as containing 500. From where we sat outside “Vora Riu” we saw 3 smaller flocks totalling 75 glossy ibises flying E over the fields further S. We also watched a marsh harrier as it soared S over the river. There are a couple of other bars or restaurants close to either end of the bridge from which good views of the mighty river and its birdlife might be possible.

On the afternoon of 1st October I reached Barcelona and strolled round Port Vell, the touristy old port area. I had something to eat in “Tapa Tapa Maremagnum” on the corner. I saw a mediterranean gull fly past the fishing quay opposite, admittedly a species which I have seen there quite a few times before, and then noticed a shag standing on a support underneath the corner of the walkway. That was the only shag that I have seen in Barcelona!

Bird and Dine now available!

Hi all
The website http://www.birdanddine.com/ is available for you all to check out.
We designed Bird & Dine to link good food and enjoyable eating and drinking with opportunities to view birds and other wildlife in spectacular locations - initially in the UK and Ireland.

We'd love to get your comments and suggestions.
To avoid clogging up this thread, please use the facilities on the website to comment.

Thanks!

There is a open air restuarant/bar overlooking the Avis Damm in Windhoek, Namibia, I can't remember it name though. From there I saw a Hamerkop and a Lilac-breasted Roller amongst others, in June 2013.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back