• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good evening to fellow Birders (1 Viewer)

Good evening.
Hope you can help or give advice. I have a magpie which is unwell in and around my garden. I’m sure he’s part of a breeding couple of which I have been watching nesting.
In the last couple of days that I have noticed, he is staying around the garden, slightly puffed up. He feeds looks glossy but seems too calm for a magpie. He preens his breast a lot. Seems awkward in getting off the ground and will hop n scrabble up on to sheds. He can fly as I have seen him fly into the garden. He’ll sit on a shed roof dozing and pretty oblivious to everything. I’m wondering if it’s tick or parasite? I can’t see that he has any wound as such.
Any pointers?
I have videos but seem to big to put on here.

Hi ChirpyCheep and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Not easy, but he could have bird flu I guess. While he can fly well, there's not a lot you can do without causing him more stress, I'm afraid. Please let us know how he gets on.

If you want to upload videos but are unable to edit enough to reduce the size, upload them to something like YouTube or Facebook and share them here using the little icon with the double landscape image above the message pane that says "media" when you hover over it.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi ChirpyCheep and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Not easy, but he could have bird flu I guess. While he can fly well, there's not a lot you can do without causing him more stress, I'm afraid. Please let us know how he gets on.

If you want to upload videos but are unable to edit enough to reduce the size, upload them to something like YouTube or Facebook and share them here using the little icon with the double landscape image above the message pane that says "media" when you hover over it.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you for your warm welcome😊
I did wonder about avian flu and looked up the symptoms. From what I can see he doesn’t seem to be presenting any symptoms. I’m sure it’s his mate who comes into the garden as well and seems to be trying to get him to “buck up” She flaps at him and opens her beak, then get no response and carries on gathering food. He sits on the wall or shed dozing.

Unfortunately, we aren't vets here. Do you have the number of a wildlife rescue centre near you? It's possible they could advise and would maybe come along to see him. We do have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. Which might prove useful to you if things don't improve.

Unfortunately, we aren't vets here. Do you have the number of a wildlife rescue centre near you? It's possible they could advise and would maybe come along to see him. We do have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. Which might prove useful to you if things don't improve.
Hi Delia,
I appreciate your not vets I am grateful just to have like minded folks to chat too. Yes I have contacted some wildlife carers, one told me that he looks normal to her and to see how he goes. I contacted the RSPB via email and Kent Wildlife Rescue but nothing as yet. Would love for someone to observe and advise but looks like I’m on my own with him.
Had a wild parrot once infested with maggots he was a regular visitor. Between me and my neighbour, we got him back to shape, purely by putting feed n water out for him. He recovered and brought his family to visit! So, fingers crossed!

I contacted the RSPB
This sort of thing isn't really in the RSPB's remit; they concentrate on habitat and nature reserves mostly in the UK and abroad, along with pressurising governments to try and change laws. The RSPCA is the charity that cares for individuals.

I'm just explaining this to you as you might not get the reply you expect from them.

Good luck with him.... Magpies are so rare we I am, lucky if I see a two or three a year - have seen one this year so off to a good start for maybe getting 4!!!

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

This sort of thing isn't really in the RSPB's remit; they concentrate on habitat and nature reserves mostly in the UK and abroad, along with pressurising governments to try and change laws. The RSPCA is the charity that cares for individuals.

I'm just explaining this to you as you might not get the reply you expect from them.

Good luck with him.... Magpies are so rare we I am, lucky if I see a two or three a year - have seen one this year so off to a good start for maybe getting 4!!!
Thanks Delia. I’ll not pin my hopes on them. It just gave a tab re injured birds, so I thought I’d give it a go.
We must be lucky where I live as we have a lot of magpies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back