• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good idea? - Honey Buzzard viewpoints (1 Viewer)

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
United Kingdom

Maybe more pros than cons? I know one of our BF members used to study these during the breeding season. But apparently this species was reported as not so secretive or sensitive to disturbance in Fenno Scandinavian countries when on breeding territory, which I've never really accepted.

Maybe more pros than cons? I know one of our BF members used to study these during the breeding season. But apparently this species was reported as not so secretive or sensitive to disturbance in Fenno Scandinavian countries when on breeding territory, which I've never really accepted.

Yes. A carefully considered and researched decision from individuals who have spent a considerable amount of time with the species at these sites. Honey Buzzards have always had viewpoints whether officially or not. A degree of public attention at such sites normally only increases the security and scrutiny.

All the best

Paul

The Wyndham Forest viewpoint in North Yorkshire has been well-publicised for years - it's even marked as a tourist attraction on Google Maps!

I fail to see how it can lead to any disturbance as it's a vantage point over a wide valley, and most of the views of honey buzzard (and goshawk and common buzzard) are at long range.

The Wyndham Forest viewpoint in North Yorkshire has been well-publicised for years - it's even marked as a tourist attraction on Google Maps!

I fail to see how it can lead to any disturbance as it's a vantage point over a wide valley, and most of the views of honey buzzard (and goshawk and common buzzard) are at long range.
Also Welbeck and Acres Down, not to mention Swanton Novers. Nothing new here.

John

I live close ( 2 miles ) from Swanton Novers HB and raptor viewpoint, which until the last couple of years used to employ a ( Natural England / English Nature ) seasonal warden to monitor and watch the area where they were known to attempt and successfully breed. During the last 20 plus years, both birders/toggers and suspected eggers have entered the private woodlands despite sufficient and clear signage to the contrary. Thankfully, these were few and far between.
Even though reasonable views could occassionally occur but mostly distant from the designated location it is still very much a luck of the draw with these beauties.

The thing that isn't possible is to keep the whole thing quiet. Yes you still get disobedience from the selfish and outright criminality such as egging but the vast majority of birders if offered a reasonable chance of good scope views from a viewpoint with sufficient parking will use it rather than seek their own. This reduces the impact on the birds and the environment and allows any wardens to concentrate their efforts on the high threat area around the nest.

This is even more necessary in public access areas such as the New Forest where in addition to "advertent" disturbance from the knowledgeable but incorrigible, grockles abound in all the blocks of forest throughout the summer.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back