• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goshawk or Sparrowhawk, North Wales, UK (1 Viewer)

mike a

Dear All,

I've read the relevant ID threads and think this is probably a Sparrowhawk, but promised the birder I was with that I'd check with you guys.

Location was unfamiliar and difficult to gauge the size.

Any info on the finer points much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Mike.

Attachments

• Hawk.jpg
    Hawk.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 268
Those images look Goshawky to me as the tail seems shorter, I can`t be 100% though.

Where was it seen and what was it doing? this info may help id it closer.

you've reached the right conclusion! Goshawk doesn't show such dense barring on the underwing - the outer primaries are barred but the pattern becomes a lot more blurred as you move in. The head doesn't protrude enough for goshawk either and the tail is nice and square

Sparrowhawk ad male display flight
smallish head and breast, broad hips due to displaying undertail coverts
square tipped tail, broad hand, well marked underwing pattern on secondaries, orange hint on breast as in males
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back