• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grafham Water (3 Viewers)

Grafham 14 Apr 2023; Common Sandpiper on the dam this evening in the rain. 40+ Yellow Wagtails including the hybrid 'Channel' wagtail and one White Wagtail.

Grafham 15 Apr 2023; the presumed hybrid Blue-headed x Yellow Wagtail (known as Channel Wagtail) showed very well on and off all day until dusk.
Finally the light was good in the late morning and after 5 hours waiting the bird walked right up to me and was almost too close to focus!
I think these will be the final shots..... Four White Wagtails with the 30+ Yellow Wagtails and an Osprey seen fishing mid afternoon; landed on the water for 5 seconds!

AU0I7124c1 | Matthew Rodgers | Flickr

AU0I7124c1.JPG

Grafham 16 & 17 April 2023; the smart hybrid wagtail still present on the dam. I don't think news services will post this one now so anyone keen to observe this educational form of Yellow wagtail will have to depend on my reports to hear if it breeds here. (Again?)
Also a White wagtail still.

Grafham Water 21 Apr 2023; the 'Channel' Wagtail still on the dam this evening with about 15 Yellow Wagtails. Singing and calling frequently.

Grafham Water 22 Apr 2023; the 'Channel' Wagtail still this evening plus two associating Imm/female Channel type birds with grey heads.
One of the additional birds:

AU0I7587c1.JPG

Grafham Water 26 April 2023; an interesting 'dark grey' Yellow Wagtail this evening; this bird was repeatedly attacked (viciously!) by up to 5 Yellow Wagtails together although it carried on feeding nearby. No further sign of the Channel Wagtail since 22 April.

AU0I8005c1x.JPG

Grafham 27 Apr 2023; two Grey Plovers and two Common Sandpipers from the dam this evening. Wagtails were scarce in the awful weather.
On the question; wagtail numbers build up in the evening usually from the fields but there must be a lot of change over. Viewing is always difficult as they roam the mile of dam and frequently get flushed by crows and kites.

Grafham 6 May 2023; a Sanderling on the dam early morning and still in the evening. Some better photos of the apparent 1st year 'Channel' type wagtail (not the recent adult); this one may be an offspring from the Channel male from last year. Speculation only, the bird is extremely tame.
The Sanderling attached too as they are a favourite....
AU0I9045c1.JPG AU0I9093c1.JPG

Grafham 13/14 May 2023; apart from the very grey headed wagtail, likely to be a female paired with a Yellow Wagtail male, always at the northern end of the dam; little else unusual. New carpark fees slipped in with very big increase, just after the pasties in the cafe went up by a 'whole pound' recently too.
Here are the prices, so be ready next time there is a rarity and remember to bring your own food...
The annual pass sounds expensive but I reckon without it I would have to spend over £2000 per year to park!

AH4I5670c2.JPG

Grafham 27 May 2023; a flock of Black Terns in the early evening. At least 7 seen briefly before the dash after the Gull-billed Tern that probably saw me watching the Black Terns.....

Grafham Water 31 May 2023; a female Long-tailed Duck in Littless Creek today an unexpected record; present until at least 20:00 from the hide.AU0I0585c1.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back