• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grafham Water (1 Viewer)

Grafham 8 July 2023; a fine adult summer Mediterranean Gull on the dam in the morning. No sign of the Lesser Scaup this evening at the Dudney area.

Grafham 23 July 2023; very different to a year ago as water level about as high as it ever gets. A small number of Yellow-legged gulls now and what maybe an adult Caspian Gull on 21st. A group of six Common Sandpipers today and a Sanderling on 22nd.

Grafham 13 Aug 2023; the German ringed Caspian x Herring Gull has returned again for the 5th year, (Yellow X90A on left leg).

Now a full adult and certainly looks Caspian like in general appearance, it raises the question again over the identification of many 'Caspian Gulls' in the UK. As before the bird has a drooped right leg in flight, possibly due to the metal ring on the right leg that is hard to see. AU0I6264c1.JPG

Grafham on 10 Sep2023; one of the Caspian Gulls allowed prolonged viewing at the Fishing Lodge. Additionally hybrid Caspian x Herring Gull (yellow ring: X90A) is around again for 5th year so all need checking carefully. Also another ringed Caspian Gull from Germany: yellow X27M was seen recently. No rings on this bird and parents unconfirmed!AU0I8767c1.JPG

Grafham 07 Oct 2023: two days observing the Yellow-legged Gull around the Dudney and Littless Creeks finally gave some much better shots, it shows a clear hood particularly when there is neutral light. The bird spends a lot of time roosting on the floating barrier across the bays.AU0I2285c1.JPG

Grafham 12 Oct 2023; six Whooper Swans flew over south , Brent Goose around until dusk, Sanderling, Turnstone, Dunlin and Redshank formed the wader flock! Two Caspian Gulls and at least 10 Yellow-legged gulls
This is the very tame bird calling and displaying to the immature, it allows close approach.
AU0I4187c1.JPG

Grafham 11 Nov 2023; the drake 'Green-winged Teal' showed well st the south end of the dam all morning in perfect viewing conditions unlike the previous bird (or same bird). A few photos here to scrutinise for the finer points in deciding if the bird is a 'pure' Green-winged.
AU0I6674c1 | Matthew Rodgers | Flickr
Have you seen something to suggest it might be a hybrid?

I see nothing (yet) to suggest that. The flank feathers are adult type, so it is moulting out of eclipse, which would explain the narrow white vertical breast stripe. The reduced yellow around the face and apparent lack of white line by undertail coverts all suggest GWT too.

I guess it might be last years 1cy that has come back (probably the same bird in April this year too?)

Have been studying the photos for finer details; seems ok so far; maybe needs a bit longer to mature. I do remember that the bird a year ago seemed darker headed overall and stood out from the flock by that feature alone; this one tends to blend in easier with the other males. Hopefully it will stay unless we get a freeze up.

Grafham 18 Nov 2023; Green-winged Teal still at south end of the dam. Common Scoter female/imm off lagoons ; (GND reported but eluded me in 5 hours searching!) Red head Goosander off Mander. The leucistic Grey Heron in Valley Creek at dusk looking more heron like now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back