• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Northern Diver (1 Viewer)

lesf

My first Great Northern Diver, yesterday at Carsington Water, don't know how rare they are, but a first for me, beautiful bird!

lesf said:
My first Great Northern Diver, yesterday at Carsington Water, don't know how rare they are, but a first for me, beautiful bird!

Not very rare at the coast, in the right place, but inland they are quite a rarity. Always good to see one. My first was on an inland reservoir and in the intervening 25+ years have seen a couple of others inland but many more at the coast

lesf said:

Great birds, and aren't they just huge in the flesh! Definitely a rarity inland and while Keith is right about the coast in winter they are not at all common. Only around 3000 birds winter in Britain, and there's an awful lot of coastline!

Graham

bitterntwisted said:
Great birds, and aren't they just huge in the flesh! Definitely a rarity inland and while Keith is right about the coast in winter they are not at all common. Only around 3000 birds winter in Britain, and there's an awful lot of coastline!

Graham
Ah but Graham that's why I said in the right place...locally common but nationally rare...isn't that it...LOL

I found a summer plumaged adult at Gouthwaite some years ago. It was seen by many...a great bird.

John.

A nice Glauc on the above sight as well.....I wonder if anyone else remembers the days when we used to get regular Glaucs and Icelands on our coasts and in our harbours....those were the days :h?:

John.

lesf said:

Over the years I've seen a good number of great northerns when seawatching, however the recent one in Bedford was my first inland bird and the first time I've been able to really enjoy watching one. They really are impressive birds, although not a truely rare species you won't get many chances to really spend time watching one.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/117563

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/117561

Congratulations on your first Great Northern Diver. I remember the thrill of my first sighting too. We're lucky enough to have them breeding in Reykjavík and I regularly go to listen to them yodelling on bright May evenings. It's one of the great sounds in nature I think. Here are some pictures of them on home ground in Iceland.
http://myndir.fuglar.is/pictures.php?type=t&id=479

E

Congratulation the Great Northern Diver! I don't know as is in England, but in Poland this bird is very rare. Lately, I saw only Black-throated Diver, but if I went in the same place one week ago, I can see Great Northern Diver |=(| |;|

Last edited:
Had a max count of six yesterday in Cork Harbour. That is a very good record for the harbour. Thing is i cant even see the whole harbour from where i look. It's blocked by a few islands. Also had Glaucous gull, two black guillemots and at least 5 mediterranean gulls.

I would 'nt say GN Divers were rare inland you get a few every year turning up on inland lakes and Reservoirs so, i would say they were scarce inland rather than rare.Still they are excellent birds to see inland often showing really well and some stay for weeks.

great nortern diver

also saw 2 of these birds at carsington yesterday nice birds couple of good photos of them on the clubs website not my photos i hasen to add

I know them as Common Loon, but I get them fairly frequently along the beaches here. Also seen them in summer plumage up north, this year on my annually-visited campground at Lake George, a first for the area! And that yodeling call.......AMAZING!!

I personally prefer 'loon" to "diver", but "great Northern" to "Common". How about "Great Northern Loon"?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back