• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diver - Yellow-billed or Great northern, Denmark 04/04/2024 (1 Viewer)

Hi, I just had this great diver sp. during the morning observation. Personally, I believe it's a Yellow-billed diver, but I would appreciate hearing someone else's opinion
Best regards Louis P.

Attachments

• IMG_3847.jpg
    IMG_3847.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3854.jpg
    IMG_3854.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3867.jpg
    IMG_3867.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3870.jpg
    IMG_3870.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 118
The neck pattern (diffuse with no clear cut black and white contrast and no obvious collar) and the apparent uptilted shape of the bill support White-billed Diver (or Yellow-billed if you prefer).

You may find this thread of interest:

Given the low quality of the photos (no offence to the OP) I believe it unsafe to draw these conclusions.
Perhaps on their own that might be the case but if the photos are supported by in-field observations (i.e. to demonstrate that the apparent features in the photos were really visible in the field) then I think they are very helpful.

the apparent features in the photos
Are they apparent? I see a pattern on fore-neck and side of neck which is essentially mushy and could easily be consistent with great northern diver, a hindneck which is (at least) as dark as the upperwing which thus seems better for great northern diver than for white-billed diver, and an uptilted-looking bill in one photo out of four - an effect which could easily be created by the accidental arrangement of pixels in that one (sorry, low-quality) photo. It may indeed be, of course, that the OP spent more time looking through bins/scope than through camera as it flew past and has good field notes to confirm the suggested ID 👍🏻

Thanks for all comments - in field my first impresion was GND, i didnt look at it in the scope for that long, focused on getting picture (i know that its bad but), but for the short time that i had it in the scope, the bill didnt looked really bright/white/ivory like i would expect from a yellow billed even though it was cloudy. It was first when i looked at the pictures where the bill is "tilting up" that i thought that it had to be a YBD then. But looking closer at the pictures i think it might just be some "accidental arrangement of pixels" as Butty also mentioned, cause i think actually that most other things fits best on GND - I have atached all images below.

Attachments

• Islom sp. sp..jpg
    Islom sp. sp..jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back