• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey-backed Thrush? South Korea (1 Viewer)

In Nature

Grey-backed Thrush? Seoul, South Korea. April 20, 2022. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• Grey-backed Thrush,  IS7A6051.JPG
    Grey-backed Thrush, IS7A6051.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
  • Grey-backed Thrush, IS7A5636.JPG
    Grey-backed Thrush, IS7A5636.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • Grey-backed Thrush 6059.mp4
    4.9 MB
Seems to be a first-year male because of the black face 'speckling'.

It will be on migration to the breeding grounds in Coastal / Eastern Russia.

Where I am in Japan, it would be a bird that people would go a long way to see. Occasionally a bird seems to be blown here in the autumn and then decides to overwinter. I have seen one such bird in the Osaka area of Honshu.

Back in 2017, my wife and I took a ferry from Japan to Vladivostok via south Korea. I attach a couple of photos of a Grey-backed Thrush actually on migration over the open (out of sight of land) Sea of Japan ('other names available').

In Japanese, the Brown-headed Thrush is called 'Akahara' which means 'Red-Belly'. The Grey-backed Thrush is called 'Kara-Akahara' which means 'Chinese Red-Belly'. It's interesting (I think) how different cultures pick different features as distinctive when naming birds (and other animals).

170430036 Japan Sea.JPG170430039 Japan Sea.JPG170430040 Japan Sea.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back