• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey-backed thrush or female Japanese thrush - Daejeon, South Korea, July 2021 (1 Viewer)

sandwich311

Can I quickly check that this is a Grey-backed thrush and not a female Japanese thrush. It would certainly be unexpected in South Korea mid summer. The black spots are what's confusing me.

Thanks, Rob

Attachments

• Grey-backed thrush.jpeg
    Grey-backed thrush.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 31
The yellow gape and the white spotting on the back mean it is a juvenile. The bill is black, so I think not either of the birds you mention, which I think even juvenile would have a yellowish bill.

I think it's a young (this year) Brown-headed Thrush. A book I have (on differntiation) shows a bird exactly like yours.

The top comment which points to the bill says, "It [ Juvenile Brown-headed] resembles a female Japanese Thrush, but the bill is black, not yellow.

Brown-headed Thrush J.JPG

Last edited:
An interesting bird. As MacNara has stated, it's a juvenile (with yellow gape, white spots on upperparts, white mottling on face). It looks like Grey-backed and Pale are the only thrushes regularly breeding in Korea. I'm not familiar with juvenile thrushes in the region, so this is based on online photos rather than personal experience.

Structurally, it looks like Grey-backed or Japanese to me. It looks like quite a compact, large-headed bird, whereas other species tend to look (to me) bulky-bodied and small-headed. The greyish tail would also seem to favour Grey-backed or Japanese and rule out most Asian species.
My immediate thought was that it looks like Japanese, with the extensive spotting of the underparts and orange restricted to the flanks. Females of Grey-backed usually have spotting restricted only to the throat and upper breast and extensive orange on the underparts. But checking online photos it looks like the spotting of juveniles is not the same as adults - juvenile Grey-backed seems to have more extensive spotting on the underparts than adults, while Japanese looks like it has larger spots/mottled underparts. (Note that both species do have a black bill as juveniles).
On balance I think this is a juvenile Grey-backed (probably male given the grey tones to the tail).

Juvenile Grey-backed:

Juvenile Japanese:

Thanks ever so much for the detailed replies. Juveniles are often tricky to ID but those photos look just like the one I saw with the extensive spotting.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back