• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulf of Mexico bird of prey help! (1 Viewer)

JessCK11

Hello,

I work an on oil rig offshore in Gulf of Mexico and we have two of these birds living in our derrick. Can you identify them for me? They hunt the smaller birds that get pushed out by the cold fronts. They've been living in our Derrick I want to say over two years. Is it an Osprey?

Thank you for your help!

Best Regards,
Jessica

Attachments

• Bird.jpg
    Bird.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 108
Hi Jessica,
This is a juvenile Peregrine. It can be aged by, for example, the streaking (rather than barring) below, on a buffish background (whitish background on adults), the obvious pale fringes to the upperparts feathers and the blue cere (the area where the nostrils are, this is yellow on adults).
The head pattern, underparts streaking and dark iris exclude an Osprey, as would the size if one could judge that (not possible to judge with certainty here, but the bird doesn't 'feel' too large either).
Regards,
Harry

Another for peregrine.

How far offshore are you? I know they'd get plenty of food in migration, but I'm curious what they eat mid-summer if you're far away from shore.

They've been living in our Derrick I want to say over two years.

As it's a juvenile, it must be different ones each year. Good hunting for them during the migration periods, but poor during winter and summer, so they'd leave when the migration ends.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back