• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID from Southern Pakistan (1 Viewer)

@oriolus

Pakistan
Hello,

This single photo was taken on 27 December, 2020 at Gaddani, Balochistan, Pakistan.

These two bulky gulls were separated from the rest of the active flocks of Heuglin's and Steppe gulls. Can these be Great Black-backed gulls based on the thick build and the large white mirrors on the wing tips or the different color legs rule it out completely?

Unfortunately, this is the only photograph I have.
Thanks.

Attachments

• RSCN0044.JPG
    RSCN0044.JPG
    445.6 KB · Views: 60
Hello,
its one of those threads I learn from, but I can answer your question:
these are not Great black backed Gulls, please note:
  • upperparts are to pale for even the palest GBBG
  • the left bird has a strikingly pale eye, in GBBG they are often darker, the right bird would show a slightly paler eye than normal for a 100% ID-book GBBG (yes, within variation, but many GBBG has eyes that givesc the impression of a dark eye from medium or large distance)
  • right bird has a totally wrong bill/head profile for a GBBG with slender bill and rounded, resulting in a friendly, gentle jizz out of variation for a GBBG
For the ID of your birds I wait for the experts to do so. Thank you from me, too!

Thank you for the valuable inputs, much appreciated! Will keep these pointers in mind; GBBGs should be vagrants if not rare winter visitors to coasts of Pakistan in winters.

GBBG has never been recorded there, at least not that i know of.
Only 5 accepted records in Iran, two (of 'one' and 'several') dating from 1938 at Bushehr, published by Løppenthin 1951. Heuglin's Gull has often been listed as GBBG in Iran. More likely on the Pakistan coast would be vagrant individual southern-hemisphere 'black-backs'...
MJB

As Lou points out these are heuglini. Some lightning of your pic if you don't mind.

Attachments

• PSX_20210505_094344.jpg
    PSX_20210505_094344.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 24
Thank you all, yes, I expect them to be here as vagrants. There has been a unconfirmed sighting by Roberts 1997 from Lasbela, Balochistan. I would be on the lookout for these. No worries about that JANJ, that was helpful, thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back