• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull or other? Help for ID! Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Gerdzhikov

Hello

I had taken this pictures in Northeast Bulgaria 3 days before (11.9.2015)...I think that this is Gannet or some strange gull.

Can you help me for ID

Sorry about bad pictures

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_9247.jpg
    IMG_9247.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_9248.jpg
    IMG_9248.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_9249.jpg
    IMG_9249.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_9250.jpg
    IMG_9250.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9252.jpg
    IMG_9252.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 64
neither gannet nor gull (gannet hasn't been recorded in the black sea yet afaik) but a tern species. pretty sure it is a sterna and most probably a common tern, sterna hirundo.

neither gannet nor gull (gannet hasn't been recorded in the black sea yet afaik) but a tern species. pretty sure it is a sterna and most probably a common tern, sterna hirundo.

Agree, but don't you think it looks too long billed and long winged for Common?

A larger species?

Peter

Lou - Gannet is record in Black sea...Along Bulgarian coast there are 5-6 observations, but is possible to be Tern..but the bill were very big, and a tail were like Gannet...
I had seen Gannet only one time before many years and I`m not sure.

Agree, but don't you think it looks too long billed and long winged for Common?

A larger species?

Peter

like lesser crested...? i had the same impression ;) peter, but i guess it's just the 'burned' effect of the pics. actually the whole hand looks dark which is best for caspian but i thought tail's too long and structure generally too elegant.

like lesser crested...? i had the same impression ;) peter, but i guess it's just the 'burned' effect of the pics. actually the whole hand looks dark which is best for caspian but i thought tail's too long and structure generally too elegant.

You're probably right, and definitely not Caspian with that tail and structure.

The hand is too dark due to light was very low, and when I edited move contrast too much (this is my error)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back