• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls from Galapagos (1 Viewer)

oleg2oleg

Hi! Here is a few gulls I saw on San Cristobal (Galapagos) in January. They were in one group. They should be Laughing Gull or Franklin's Gull or both of them. Do I guess, that 1 and 2 are Franklin's and 3 and 4 are Laughing?
Thank you!
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

For me the first two are Franklin's - stronger eye crescents, shorter, thinner bill with less pronounced gonys, more completed dark hood in 1st year plumage. The third appears to be and the fourth is certainly Laughing - paler head, stronger bill, stronger gonys, etc.

For me the first two are Franklin's - stronger eye crescents, shorter, thinner bill with less pronounced gonys, more completed dark hood in 1st year plumage. The third appears to be and the fourth is certainly Laughing - paler head, stronger bill, stronger gonys, etc.
Thank you for the confirmation!!!

Are there any flight images of the first two birds? While I agree that the head patterns do seem more like that of a non-breeding Franklin's Gull, there are some features that give me cause for concern, including the lack of pale fringes to the innermost visible primaries at least, the bill length not seeming short enough for Franklin's (the foreshortened bill in the second image especially looks as though it would be long), the dirty smudgy grey tones on the nape and, to a lesser extent, the flanks on both birds, the worn juvenile coverts on the second bird, and I wonder if they may just be 1st cycle Laughing Gulls attaining a partial hood?

I'm fine with Franklin's Gull for those first two, Harry.
Broad white edges to lower tertials are fairly typical, as is the complete lack of any moulted wing coverts on this date.
Note, in the first bird, also the bit of orange colour admixed on the legs.
Some 1c Franklin's even show completely orange legs!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back