• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht 8x30 W, Nikon 8x32 SE, Nikon 8x32 Eii, Nikon 8x32 HG (XL for US i guess) (1 Viewer)

Giorgio

Optically all three of the 8x porros you are considering are superb. The SE offers better edge performance and I often use it at night when I want a low powered bino for star gazing. I've found the Habicht's view to be sharper nearer to the edge than the 8x30 EII--but of course the 8x30 EII has a wider fov so the sweet spot is about the same in both of these binoculars.

I think the color saturation is about equal with the Nikons being just a little bit warmer. The color in the Habicht is spot on neutral with bright whites (no yellow tint) while in the Nikons reds and purples are a tad more vibrant. The difference is very subtle sort of like comparing a 8x30 EII or 8x32 SE to the "cooler" view of a Zeiss FL--or as Brock and I would say comparing one to a pre Eco-Glass SE.

I've not had any problem with glare in the Habicht but the focuser is stiff compared to non waterproof porros and especially compared to roofs. I always hold my porros in both hands and keep the index fingers from both hands on the focus wheel and "push/pull" with two fingers and have no problem with the focussing.

The one very notable difference between the Nikons and the Habicht is the size difference. The Habichts are much slimmer than the Nikons--in fact I can slide my fingers between the barrels and the hinge on the Habicht which makes for a very secure grip. This size difference is also born out in the size of the oculars. In fact I sometimes add a set of winged eyecups to the Habicht to increase the diameter of the ocular which makes the eye relief perfect for me.

I've enclosed a pic so you'll see the marked difference in the size of the oculars.

Steve

Wow! The Habichts really do look tiny compared to the SEs. However, since you can fit your fingers around the barrels on either side of the center post, that should make for a stable and comfortable grip. My fingers are long but slim, it should also work for me. Can't wait to try one in a couple months.

The stiff focuser might be a show stopper for me. My first ZR 7x36 ED2 was a two-finger taffy pull (second sample was smooth) and the 8x42 Leupold Cassades porro was a two-finger tug-o-war. Ditto for the early EL (at least in one direction).

I'm also spoiled by the fastest focuser east of the Pecos (the HG/L series), and at least above freezing, my porro focusers turn smoothly.

I do a lot of focusing at close to medium range while birding, and after a while my fingers were sore using those stiff focusers. I had to alternate between my right and left hands.

Plus, if the Habicht's focuser is stiff in warm weather, how is it in cold weather?

The only way that porros are going to achieve parity with roofs is if some company designs them with smooth turning internal focusers and WFs.

Then they won't get shunned because of not being waterproof or being WP but having a stiff focuser or for having too modest a FOV.

The Big Three have too much invested in roof technology at this point to boldly go where no one (except Leica) has gone before, and Swaro already has the Habichts.

And then what if Swaro did redesign the Habicht series with longer ER, wider FOV (in the case of the 7x42 model) and internal focusers that turned smoothly in both directions, and the updated Habichts turned out to be a "hit"? That might hurt their pricier roof sales, and they wouldn't want that.

Nikon is a conservative company, and after the EDG I focuser knob debacle, they are probably still trying to recoup their losses (particularly after sending Dennis that EDG II). And they still have the EIIs and SEs.

That passes the torch on to the younger companies like Zen Ray, Vortex, Kruger, Promaster, Hawke, Theron, etc. According to Holger, he and Fan Tao couldn't interest any Chinese bin manufacturer to resurrect the premium porro.

However, going retro is one thing, leaping ahead is another.

Who will take up the gauntlet and modernize porros?

Brock

Last edited:
Le Brock, The Habichts i tried had a smooth focuser wheel.
Anyway, according to the seller, the Habs i'll got in 1 week will be part of the last ones made by Swaswa, leather covered + coatings: Swarobright, Swarotop, Swarodur, and an easy to clean coating also.
These porri have great chances to be in fact, optically, one of the best Swaswa !
It's really sad you cannot try some.

Last edited:
Yoda,

Yes, it is unfair, particularly since Kelly had three babies, which takes a toll on a lassie's body, but Christie Brinkley had three kids too, and she's a year older and looks "marvelous" at 53:

http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/christie-brinkley-picture-1.jpg

Hollywood has a double standard. Sean Connery was named "Sexiest Man Alive" by People Magazine in 1989 when he was turning 60 years old.

Jaclyn Smith still looks great (if a bit skinny) at 67, but I can't imagine any popular magazine naming her "Sexiest Woman Alive" except perhaps AARP Magazine. :)

This was taken last year:

http://www.celebrityclothingline.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Conde+Nast+Honors+25th+Anniversary+Jaclyn+AbXqmdMMbDWl.jpg

While men experience ageism in the job market (particularly when one lives in a university town fresh with newly minted talent that will work for half the salary), women experience age discrimination a lot earlier, and it ain't just in Hollywood. Hence, all the Botox, plastic surgery, and the latest magic pill designed "turn back the hands of time".

I like a woman with some meat on her bones, so I'd take Kelly over skinny Angelina (I'm sure Brad is relieved), but Kelly's had too much plastic surgery, so I would prefer the more natural looking Christie. I wouldn't even need to stand on a piano stool to kiss her like Billy did :)

We've seemed to have wandered off topic. So to make it relevant:

Kelly LeBrock = 8x50 Trinovid
Angelina Jolie = 8x42 Ultravid BL
Jaclyn Smith = 8x42 Ultravid Silverline
Christie Brinkley = 8x42 Prostaff 7 (looong legs).

Jabba the Hutt

Brock

Kelly Le Brock, quite possibly the most beautiful woman ever in her day, check out 'Weird Science' she is stunning ;), Jolie isn't or never will be in the same class as Kelly.

Le Brock, The Habichts i tried had a smooth focuser wheel.
Anyway, according to the seller, the Habs i'll got in 1 week will be part of the last ones made by Swaswa, leather covered + coatings: Swarobright, Swarotop, Swarodur, and an easy to clean coating also.
These porri have great chances to be in fact, optically, one of the best Swaswa !
It's really sad you cannot try some.

Giorgio,

That's good news. I'm bookmarking this thread since yours is the first report I've read of a smooth focuser on an 8x30 Habicht.

Of course, you might have amazingly strong fingers and not notice the tension like someone else I know who owns another Swaro.

If not, then what we have here is a beneficial mutation, which is rare from what they tell me. Not sure if any more of those made it across the Pacific or if they got stuck on Galapagos. :)

Swaswa?

Brock

Swarobright

Hey All,
Not to be a stick in the mud but to the best of my knowledge the new Habichts do not have the Swarobright coating. This coating was developed specifically for roof prisms for greater light transmission and isn't necessary on the porros which already had claim (and I agree) to great light transmission.

There will always be some discussion over which of those is "best". I have seen the Swaro Habicht enough to know that you will probably have them until the day you die. I have a hard time thinking you won't be more than happy with them.

Yes, I bought 8*32 victory & Habicht 10*40 by a single order.
Although my primary target of the order is the zeiss model.
I was actually more impressed by the Habicht optics when I got the package.

By the way, it just looks like a tool for CIA in cold war. Super cool.

Giorgio,

That's good news. I'm bookmarking this thread since yours is the first report I've read of a smooth focuser on an 8x30 Habicht.

Of course, you might have amazingly strong fingers and not notice the tension like someone else I know who owns another Swaro.

If not, then what we have here is a beneficial mutation, which is rare from what they tell me. Not sure if any more of those made it across the Pacific or if they got stuck on Galapagos. :)

Swaswa?

Brock

My fingers are normal, no supermega strongness visible there.
It was smooth to normal, at a point i in fact didn't pay attention that it was hard or smooth when i turned the wheel.
I think that if it was stiff i would have felt it.
Perhaps it is due that it was an exposition model, which has been turned so many times that the mecanism is fluid?

I'll do a review anyway, when i'll possess them.

Hey All,
Not to be a stick in the mud but to the best of my knowledge the new Habichts do not have the Swarobright coating. This coating was developed specifically for roof prisms for greater light transmission and isn't necessary on the porros which already had claim (and I agree) to great light transmission.

Ok, if you"re right ill tell the seller that he's a noob.
I'm kidding of course, but i find it strange that Swarovski do not give people the specs of the Habicht coatings and other important ones on their website. You got more infos from sellers than Swaro, strange for a top brand, even understanding that it regards the Habichts, a model they might stop producing.

Hey All,

Proud:

As a Swaro. dealer, you should know more about these things. The
Swarobright coatings refer to the di-electric prism coatings on the roof
models. The Habicht porros do not need or require such coatings so is a mute reference.

Jerry

Ok

That's kind of what I meant. I was just letting Giorgio know that his new Habichts might not have the Swarobright coating.

Thank you for your enlightment.
I'm pressed to see how watching trough my future habichts will change from watching through my Minox, its a Bv8x42br model. Seems good optically to me (thought i dont have experience with binoculars) but fragile mecanically.
P.S. seems many distributors do the mistake, the coating system must be not that well explained to the sellers.
http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...0-W---traditional-porro-prism-binoculars.html

Last edited:
I'm really getting sleepy! For a brief minute I thought it said they were "French Voyeur binoculars!":eek!:

Bob

Hehe that's a nice find Brock! I didn"t know french could imitate an object better than the chinamen. Anyway, as it is french, i will certainly not buy this, it will be electronically too fragile. Damn, no elecs on binoculars? Nevermind, it will break somewhere someday instead ;)
Caesar you are not getting sleepy, give a french a pair of bins like these, he will become a voyeur. And he'll grab a cig to smoke while voyeuring lol.
Btw Brock, would be good once you're health ok back, if you tell us how the look through some Els is (if you still can find time to drive to the far optics shop you got around).
I'll learn you the secrets of the baguettes in counterpart.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double.
I'm posting a review of the received Habicht 8x30 w in another topic.

Hi.

I collect and sell binoculars, mainly on ebay, and I've used all the binoculars you're thinking of.
All 3 porro binoculars have a noticeably crisper image than the Nikon roof, and of course a more pronounced 3D effect.
The Swarovski has one huge defect. As others have mentioned the focus is stiff, because of the extra friction of the O rings that seal it. It's also very narrow. It becomes excruciatingly uncomfortable after a while, especially in colder weather, making the end of the focussing finger numb.
If waterproofing is essential, I'd go for the Nikon roof, despite the softer image.

That leaves the NIkons, and another candidate. The 8x30 E2 has a huge field of view, with sharpness falling off gradually towards the edge. It is a delight to look through. The 8x32 SE CF has a narrower field, though still reasonable, and is sharp to the edge. It is more rugged than the 8x30, with rubber armour and secure prism housings. It's very comfortable to hold - better than any other binocular I've used, fitting the hand beautifully, and the one I use for birdwatching virtually all the time; better handling and optics than the premium roofs.

There's one other you might consider: the Opticron SRGA 8x32. Check it out online. You can buy from Sherwood Optical for about £160. It is almost in the class of the two Nikons, and is very nice to handle, but does have quite short eye relief.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back