• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Halcyon (1 Viewer)

So what is the plural of "mus" in Dutch.
Mus plural mussen but in the last century up till the 30ties is was written musch with plural muschen, the pronounciation was the same as now. We use it for the genus Passer and closely related genera, but also in combinations such as heggemus (Prunella) and grasmus (Sylvia), with the same plural and spelling variants as explained above till the last century.

Fred

Another Germanic language: In current Danish, mus if the word both in singular and plural for the English "mouse". I do not know if this is a corruption (if there ever were a separate spelling for mouse in plural).
Niels

Mus plural mussen but in the last century up till the 30ties is was written musch with plural muschen, the pronounciation was the same as now. We use it for the genus Passer and closely related genera, but also in combinations such as heggemus (Prunella) and grasmus (Sylvia), with the same plural and spelling variants as explained above till the last century.

Fred
Many thanks that's great background for me, cheers.

Another Germanic language: In current Danish, mus if the word both in singular and plural for the English "mouse". I do not know if this is a corruption (if there ever were a separate spelling for mouse in plural).
Niels

In Swedish we have mus (Mouse) in singular, and möss (Mice) in plural. In Sweden Mös (single-s) is known, as the plural form, from as early as 1541, alt. mösser (1548) alt. möösz (1604), etc. etc. ...

Not to confuse neither with; mössa, and mössor (= Cap, resp. Caps), nor with mossa, and/or mossor (Moss, resp. Mosses Bryophyta), and certainly not with any mosse (Bog/Moss). :rolleyes:

/B

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back