• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Half a million birds threatened by Bulgarian Wind Farm' (1 Viewer)

deborah4

Many apologies is this is old news:

In Spring edition of 'Birds' - article on Cape Kaliakra Wind Farm developments.

More than 500,000 soaring migratory birds at risk:
Buzzards
Cranes
Pelicans
Eagles
Storks

and 'entire European breeding population of white pelicans' as placements in area of migration routes along the coastline.

Birdlife partners in Bulgaria - BSPB lost appeal which had been lodged on basis of EIA standards not being met.

Developments partly funded by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries - Eu Office in UK.

The BSPB is now appealing against decisions in the regional court and is campaigning to put international pressure on Bulgarian Government.

Another Petition? Amend existing one?

A couple of days ago I announced on Bird Forum that the destruction of one of the major coastal headlands in Bulgaria, the "Emine" Important Bird Area had begun: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=106946
and that agiant new holiday complex was being built on the site. Well, today I am very sad to announce that the project for building a wind-farm on Bulgaria's second major coastal headland of Cape Kaliakra has suddenly surged ahead without warning and the construction of the wind-farm is well underway!!

For those of you who don't know the "Kaliakra" Important Bird Area, it is one of two crucial headlands jutting out into the Black Sea along the Bulgarian coast. The flora and fauna of the region is of outstanding significance, and the site is desiganted as a NATURA 2000 site under the EU Birds Directive and EU Habitats Directive, and should be fully protected. Here is a brief summary of its importance to birds:

"The Kaliakra IBA is the only site in Bulgaria, which keeps the remaining Eastern Dobrudzha steppe, as well as the biggest cliffs along the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast. It supports 310 bird species, 71 of which are listed in the Red Data Book for Bulgaria (1985). Of the birds occurring there 106 species are of European conservation concern (SPEC) (BirdLife International, 2004), 17 of them being listed in category SPEC 1 as globally threatened, 21 in SPEC 2 and 68 in SPEC 3 as species threatened in Europe. The area provides key habitats for 100 species, included in Annex 2 of the Biodiversity Act, which need special conservation measures, of which 95 are listed also in Annex I of the Birds Directive. The territory of Kaliakra holds the last big and comparatively well preserved steppe habitat in the Dobrudzha. It is inhabited by typical steppe species, which are quite numerous – Stone Curlew Burhinus oedicnemus, Greater Short-toed Lark Calandrella brachydactyla and Calandra Lark Miliaria calandra, 4 Wheater species, Rose-colored Starling Sturnus roseus. Almost the whole national population of the Pied Wheatear Oenanthe pleshanka is concentrated in the region. The Stone Curlew, the Greater Short-toed Lark and the Calandra Lark are presented there with the biggest populations in the country. The coastal cliffs host the only Bulgarian colony of the European Shag Phalacrocorax aristotelis. The open biotope supports a number of birds of prey, like the Long-legged Buzzard Buteo rufinus, the Common Kestrel Falco tinnunculus, the Hobby Falco subbuteo, the Levant Sparrowhawk Accipiter brevipes, the Eagle Owl Bubo bubo, etc. In the marine area of Kaliakra are registered the biggest flocks of the Mediterranean Shearwater Puffinus yelkouan in the country. The region is of exceptional importance during migration and it is typical bottleneck site, as it is located on the Via Pontica – the second biggest migration flyway in Europe. Every autumn considerable numbers of soaring birds – more than 29,000 storks, pelicans and cranes and more than 3,000 birds of prey, including globally threatened species like the Pallid Harrier Circus macrourus, the Saker Falcon Falco cherrug and the Imperial Eagle Aquila heliaca – pass over Kaliakra. Cape Kaliakra is the point where Bulgaria’s land territory reaches farthest into the sea. Due to the specific geography of the coastline (direction east – west) and the predominant NW wind migratory birds stay in the area longer than usual migrants, trying to avoid sea and to go back again above the mainland, and soaring to get higher. More than 60% of the migratory birds fly through the area up to 150 m high. When the wind is very strong storks and raptors (mainly harriers) lend on the fields between Kavarna and Cape Kaliakra. Only 9% of the birds pass the area flying higher than 500 m. The whole territory of Kaliakra SPA between Kavarna and Tyulenovo is used as stopover site for migratory storks. The Kaliakra IBA is used as stopover site for migratory storks. As they confront the sea on their way south, the numerous flocks of songbirds, Quail and the globally threatened Corncrake Crex crexstop there to roost and feed. They migrate mainly during the night. More than 50,000 are registered only in the light part of the days during the autumn migration. Significant numbers of waterbirds overwinter in the area of Kaliakra, mainly geese, which stay there between December and March. They overnight in the sea and every day they fly over Kaliakra in order to feed in the inland arable lands. Often they land to feed in the arable land in the limits of the proposed SPA. In smaller numbers but regularly the globally threatened Red-breasted goose also overwinter in the region. Forty rare, threatened and endemic plant species and sub-species have been established in the region. Eight of them are included in the European list of rare, threatened and endemic plants and 20 are listed in the Red Data Book for Bulgaria (1984), 15 of them being in the category “rare” and 10 – “threatened with extinction”."

I am afraid to report that the Bulgarian Society for the Protection of birds has just discovered that without warning round-the-clock construction of a massif wind-farm has already begun in the "Kaliakra" Important Bird Area. The pylons for 29 wind turbines have already been erected as you can see from the following photos just published by the Bulgarian Society for the Protection of Birds on their website:
http://bspb.org/show/901-33

Once again the Bulgarian authorities are allowing the systematic destruction of their biodiversity in total contravention of national and international laws!

This is appalling news Balkantrek! Especially for migrating species. I can't believe how this has managed to slip through the environmental law net.

Is there anything we can do to halt progress of the windfarm here? Is there any activity on the ground out there to petition the EU urgently .... is Proact/BLInt still involved?

I've copied and pasted your comments in an email to Proact in the hope an urgent injunction might be sought from ECJ - hope you don't mind

Last edited:
This is absolutely outrageous and a disaster :C

The Bulgarian authorities need to take a long hard look at their decision making here. Surely it is illegal. These windfarms are so destructive.

Deborah, have you had any response from your email?

Dean

Deborah, have you had any response from your email?

Dean

Hi Dean

Yes I did but it was all in foreign! Being a complete pleb, I deleted it but did notice that it had a forwarding addy for David on it, so presumably he's aware of Balkantrek's post now. I'm hoping Proact will consider some sort of action if they were not already on the ball with the latest developments.

I've also just emailed the Euro Division of BirdLife Int. the following with a copy of Balkantrek's comments (hope you don't mind Balkantrek but it's such a good analysis of the potential risks)

Dear Sirs

The message below (in blue) was posted on Bird Forum by a Bulgarian Birder a few days ago. Is BLI taking any steps to seek an urgent injunction from the ECJ? Surely the potential impact on migrating birds down the Via Pontica along with other impacts on ICUN red listed species local to the area, suggests environmental impact studies have not been adequately explored for Cape Kaliakra? Is there anything I and other European members of the general public can do to try and halt the progress of this windfarm?

Kindest Regards

Last edited:
The Bulgarian Society for the Protection of Birds have now lodged an official appeal to the European Commission against the illegal on-going construction of a windfarm on Kaliakra. The appeal has been supported by 12 other organisations, and has been lodged in the form of a 30 page document accompanied by 1000 other supporting texts, maps and photos highlighting the illegality and environmental impact of the windfarm construction.

What has now become clear is that this is not a single minor windfarm being built on Kaliakra. There are in fact 20 windfarm projects planned in the Kaliakra Important Bird Area, with a total of 189 turbines sheduled for construction!!! These will cover 17% of the IBA's territory.

Furthermore, what is equally as frightening, is that these 20 windfarm projects are in fact just the tip of the iceberg regarding development plans for Kaliakra. In 2007 alone (despite the fact that Bulgaria had become an EU member and signed up to the EU Bird's and Habitat Directives) an unbelievable 176 construction projects were put forward for the Kaliakra IBA and NATURA 2000 site. These are for hotels, houses, golf-courses and new roads and will cover 16.8% of the region. It looks like there will be little room left for the birds or the unique steppe flora!

Meanwhile, the Bulgarian authorities have done nothing to intervene and quash these. They have simply sat back and watched construction work start without lifting a finger to stop it.

The true tragedy is that Kaliakra is just one of a whole score of internationally important protected territories in Bulgaria that are currently being ravaged. The situation seems clear. Let the developers' illegal construction works go ahead without intervention and then soon there wont be any nature left to conserve in the region so it won't matter any way and the international outcry will simply die away and all will be forgotten!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update balkantrek.

Very very depressing news - I'd read that 9 sites were initially put forward on application, but 20 plus another 179 construction projects for the area!

As far as appealing to the E.Commission, this takes time, there must be grounds to seek an urgent interim injunction with the ECJ to halt progress until the matter is settled ... Are BSPB doing that?

Ps ... I don't know anything about Bulgarian Planning Law, but you say ''Belgium Authorities'' .... Some kind of governmental ''authority'' must have agreed these Applications? Surely you don't have private companies building anywhere and everywhere in Bulgaria without Planning Permission from governmental authorities?!

Do you have any email names/addresses that BF members can contact to voice protest?

OK.... ANSWERING MY OWN QUESTION!

email contact for the PRESIDENT OF BULGARIA

http://www.president.bg/en/contacts.php

Chairman of the Legal Affairs Committee: YANAKI BOYANOV STOILOV

and Chairman of the European Affairs Committee
Mr MLADEN PETROV TCHERVENIAKOV who is also a jurist!

both at:

2 Narodno sabranie Square
1169 Sofia,
National Assembly of the Republic of Bulgaria,

[email protected]

Balkantrek, If you can word a summary letter in Bulgarian that we can copy and paste into emails, at least we can bombard the Gvt with the same message over and over again ;)

Last edited:
My understanding from an active campaigner is that Brussels have very recently advised concerned conservationists of the following : individual countries will be deemed competent to decide whether or not individual Natura 2000 areas should receive windfarms .

This is very bad news.

Colin

Ok ..

http://www.visittobulgaria.com/properties/Dir.asp?id=204

It's up to member states to initially determine what areas should be Natura Sites

gonna google for infringements of HABITAT DIRECTIVE (which I think should be followed with subsequent developments once a Member State has designated a site for Natura - as far as I understand - it's been over 5 years since I studied EU Environmental legislation and much of it is new!)

And thinking about it even if it is within competence of Member States, any decision must comply with European Law under applicable Directives ...

Is development restricted on Natura sites?
''There is not any a priori prohibition of new activities or developments within Natura 2000 sites. These need to be judged on a case-by-case basis. There is a clear procedure in the Habitats Directive for assessment and subsequent decisions relating to development proposals that are likely to have an impact on designated sites. ''(from above site)

The first proposal for Polish road development on Via Baltica was through Natura sites etc, so may well boil down to whether the risk of birds being sliced up by windfarms are deemed by the Commission to represent an adequate deterioration of sites - could be a lot of politics behind this one - the most likely legal infringement would come from the actual degradation of habitat as a result of construction work and installation rather than turbine blades I suspect but Balkantrek may know more about the current grounds of Appeal.

Last edited:
The ( x (first) x ) proposal is ...

Not dead yet.

:eek!: Uh?! I thought the ECJ had imposed an injunction to prevent work commencing on that route until the final route is decided, but had ruled the initial route proposed infringed EU law ...

What with Malta, Poland, Bulgaria and a host of other European Countries, including Britain ... I'm beginning to wonder what the point is at all of having a body of EU Environmental Law at all ... If countries sign up to it's Treaties/Directives then flout them with impunity then ignores the Constitution that tries to enforce them ... it's nothing more than a toothless tiger.

Btw: Economic, Social and Political union remains the objectives of founding Treaty - natura sites are required to be managed/developed with social, economic and environmental sustainability. The social and economic sustainability is the killer for environmental protection in rural areas - it actually supports proactive development (the burden of proof is on 'conservationists' to show the environmental risks are so great, that despite the perceived need for social and economic development in any given area, it must take first place - a proposition, which in itself could be in conflict with the Laws of the Union. Undeveloped, rural, out of sight, windy places ..... do the maths.)

Last edited:
Thanks for your pm Deborah, I look forward to hearing from the BSPB how best we can all be of assistance.

Don't know if you and other members interested in the topic have seen the following documents submitted to the Council of Ministers during 2006. They give quite a lot more very interesting background information:
http://www.coe.int/t/dg4/cultureheritage/conventions/bern/T-PVS/sc26_files01_en.pdf
http://www.coe.int/t/dg4/cultureheritage/conventions/bern/T-PVS/sc26_files08_en.pdf

It would be very interesting to see some more up-to-date information on the current appeal.

Thanks bt. For some reason I can't open the second PDF will check later when I have more time.

I would urge people to read especially pages 1-8 if they can't manage to read all 22 pages of the first doc!

:eek!: Uh?! I thought the ECJ had imposed an injunction to prevent work commencing on that route until the final route is decided, but had ruled the initial route proposed infringed EU law ...

It has, but although work has currently paused, the Polish government has stated it is still committed to the route, and has the full backing of the majority of the residents of Augustow, the town due to be 'benefit' from the scheme.

Don't know the latest, as there have been political changes in Poland, resulting in one of the twins being booted out - how this will affect the overall direction of the government, I do not know, but (as far as I know) there have been no words to say the route has been abandoned. I would not be amazed if work suddenly started without warning, trying to outsmart the E.U.

Hi Balkantrek et al

Received a response to an email I sent to Caroline Lucas (Green MEP) ... in my original email I suggested there was a lot of potential voters out there if the Greens showed some strong discernment regarding the location of windfarms .... She is taking Kaliakra issue up with the Environment Commissioner, so will wait to hear from her.

This evening from Caroline Lucas's (MEP) secretary:

Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 6:26 PM
Subject: Bulgarian wind farm

Dear Deborah,

Thank you for your recent email about the proposed wind farm development at Kaliakra in Bulgaria,
which Caroline has asked me to respond to on her behalf. Please excuse the delay in doing so.

She knows very little about this development or the area affected and tries to judge these matters
on a case by case basis. Generally she is minded to support wind farm applications unless there are
strong grounds not to, because of the urgent need to promote renewable energy in the face of
escalating greenhouse gas emissions. However, the EU protection offered to this site leads her to believe
that a wind farm development would not be appropriate. Furthermore, Bulgaria would certainly seem to be acting
illegally if it has not at the very least applied for derogation from the EU Habitats and Birds Directives.

Caroline will take this up with the Environment Commissioner and I will let you know as soon as we have a response.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to get back in touch if you require anything further.

Kind regards,

Cath.

Cath Miller
Constituency Coordinator and Researcher
Office of Dr Caroline Lucas
Green Party MEP for SE England
Suite 58, The Hop Exchange
24 Southwark Street
London SE1 1TY

Tel: 020 7407 6281

Email: carolinelucas 'at' greenmeps.org.uk
www.carolinelucasmep.org.uk

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back