• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has competitive year listing died a death? (1 Viewer)

Steven Astley said:
The problem is Graham that lots of twitchers dispute it because they did not go and see it after the seperate Kent bird showed clipped wings.

Actually I didn't go and see it because it started begging from fishermen and I understood from ocrrespondence on this forum that despite its wide ranging habits it was anything but a clear-cut wild bird?

John

in response to the title of this thread, my answer is no. this year in hampshire there is a big competition under way and everyone is going mad. click here to see the leaderboardhere

Farnboro John said:
Actually I didn't go and see it because it started begging from fishermen and I understood from ocrrespondence on this forum that despite its wide ranging habits it was anything but a clear-cut wild bird?

John

That's a fair comment John although opinions have been expressed to explain this which quite rightly you might not find valid. The problem is quite alot of twitchers (sorry to any twitchers who aren't like this) who simplistic dismiss or except birds with great conviction either way and annoys me.
Either way the origins of birds is never as you say as clear cut as lot of twitchers would like it to be.

Josh: Glad as fairly big lister yourself you can understand my comments, lets face with the mud slinging, libel threats it gets a bit silly with some listers.
Although entertaining for us BFers

Steven Astley said:
Extreme twitching is something that is accepted.

I thought that was quite a funny comment. How would it not be accepted?
The thought police would have trouble controlling that one perhaps.

johnraven said:
I thought that was quite a funny comment. How would it not be accepted?
The thought police would have trouble controlling that one perhaps.

Wouldn't stop them trying, or at least moaning.

Nick Baker in hot pursuit of Basking Sharks last Friday described what he was doing as "fish twitching extreme" which was amusing not only as a concept but also because he clearly expected the mass audience to understand what he was on about.

John

it's like boxing

WBO, WBA, WBF or whatever body BOU, UK400, Bubo, Surfbirds - there are so many now it's a joke

and it's usually fixed. Like boxing.

Plus the advent of easy foreign birding has surey reduced the intensity of year listing. Probably popular now mainly with married men who have kids, and kid listers. And there's nowt wrong with that of course. A great way for the yoof to get familiar with birds and inspired for the future. I expect a few of todays passionate youngsters will be involved with RSPB, OBC and gallivanting about after mythical birds etc in future years.

And maybe people are getting a bit more chilled in general

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back