• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Having 2 pairs of binoculars. Which would you choose? (13 Viewers)

The Retrovids look even nicer, though. I have the 10x40, but was bitten by the 4 meter minimum focus distance.
The Retrovid looks gorgeous, i have the predecessor Leitz in 7x35B. Still useable but i don’t take it outside the house a lot because i lost one of the eyecups once (luckily my wife found them) and they don’t supply them anymore.

The Retrovid looks gorgeous, i have the predecessor Leitz in 7x35B. Still useable but i don’t take it outside the house a lot because i lost one of the eyecups once (luckily my wife found them) and they don’t supply them anymore.
The Uppendahl prism originals you posted photos of earlier in the thread? Yes, definitely collectible. I wonder if you could 3D-print replacement eyecups in TPU or silicone. I wear glasses and can't stand fold-up eyecups compared to the modern style used in the Retrovids.

I just looked on the Swarovski website. OMG I didn't realise how expensive they are. I'm looking to get a good pair second hand, I've been recommended Nikon but everyone raves about Swarovski but it would take me years to save for one :oops:

I'm looking to get a good pair second hand, I've been recommended Nikon but everyone raves about Swarovski but it would take me years to save for one
This is common when starting out in life. Don't let it keep you from enjoying a bin you can afford now... you'll still see the birds. (And if it's any consolation, many here also think Swaros have got too expensive.)

This is common when starting out in life. Don't let it keep you from enjoying a bin you can afford now... you'll still see the birds. (And if it's any consolation, many here also think Swaros have got too expensive.)
Thank you. I am worried I'm going to drop or break my neighbours £1000 Nikon ones so I will definitely get a cheaper second hand pair. I'm saving up but I will post a picture of what I buy when I get my own :)

Lisa
Teleguard ID: 3KH4SZHZW

If only five porros.

Bushnell 7x35 FPO Rangemaster
Nikon 8x32 SE (last run 550xxx)
Nikon 10x42 SE
Swarovski 7x42 Habicht’s
Swift 8.5x44 Audubon

Attachments

• IMG_7179.png
    IMG_7179.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7174.png
    IMG_7174.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7176.png
    IMG_7176.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7173.jpeg
    IMG_7173.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7180.png
    IMG_7180.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7177.jpeg
    IMG_7177.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7178.png
    IMG_7178.png
    5 MB · Views: 12
The Uppendahl prism originals you posted photos of earlier in the thread? Yes, definitely collectible. I wonder if you could 3D-print replacement eyecups in TPU or silicone. I wear glasses and can't stand fold-up eyecups compared to the modern style used in the Retrovids.
Yes, they have the original Uppendahl prisms with 150 m FOV.

That would be a good solution if it’s possible to 3D-print the eyecups. Will ask around, thanks. They must be used outside the house as they are made for it: lightweight and rather compact. Perfect summer binocular.

Shall soon be carrying nothing but Leitz models for a couple of days and has decided on the microscopic 8x20c and 7x35b, making the choice fit into the thread perfectly, but am strongly considering taking the early 80’s rereleased version of the 6x24 as well.

Leitz, Leitz and another Leitz; looking forward to it.

I suppose the Habicht 7x42 is the brightest? Also at daylight?
Which of the 5 has the most 3D view?
Night or day the 7x42 Habichts are the brightest.

By far the Rangemaster has the most 3D effect. There are no binoculars on the market that Ive tried that even come close to the image characteristics of these high end vintage super wide field binoculars. It’s a combination of 7x DOF, huge 10° FOV with decent edges in FPO Rangemaster version, super sharp and 3D effect from the large barrel separation.

Paul

I love this question - thank you for posing it :). One of the main lessons that I've learned from this forum is that each binocular is a compromise in some way or another. My eyes are more and more coming to understand that a particular binocular will often form a specific solution for a particular use case.

To name some appealing use cases that strike me:
-pocketable to take anywhere so even waiting for an appointment can be a birding opportunity,
-light weight but still big enough for ergonomic comfort,
-big enough EP for low light viewing,
-high mag for long distance viewing,
-low mag for soothing viewing etc.

This is a delicious thought-exercise in narrowing down preferred use cases. I find the usual instinct is to search for more and more use-cases which I can spend money on plugging. Via negativa - what if I had less? How freeing! (in theory)

a) So far in reality, my selections in gear have revealed that my preferences are for pocketablility (Curio) and for a hybrid of light weight/ergonomic comfort (8x32 NL).

b) I can imagine this hypothetical duo changing in future to Curio + 7x42 Habicht as the Habicht seems to have the light-weight+ergonomic comfort+low light advantage. (Lower AFOV I know, but I kind of find tunnel vision soothing. A small, exquisite portion dished up on a big plate, Michelin style).

c) Possibly in another life where I chose to always bring along a full powered binocular like some sort of samurai, the duo could shift to the 7x42 Habicht’s and the 12x42 NLs (for longer distance viewing, mounted on a hiking monopod which I would carry around like a Gandalf Staff on walks). But I really doubt it. The use case of incidental birding facilitated by pocket binoculars has given my life the greatest value add out of all of the options of compromise so far.

d) Maybe if they made a 7x42 Habicht with some sort of screw on ocular magnifier that turned the mag up to an optional 12x (if that is even possible?) - I could pair that with a Curio? Ticking the pocket, low light/low weight/ergonomic hold/low mag/high mag all at once?

My apologies for the length of this ramble.

Last edited:
A lot of Swarowski guys here :)

I have already
10x42 SF (purely amazing, 3D effect, also for low light)
10x32 SF (amazing + lightweight, 3D effect, high immersion, for the day)
8x25 VP (as backup for anything else)
Jenoptem 10x50 W (just art, gets seldom used)

Great combos for my use cases. I use 10x32 most often, basically all the time since months.

Back to topic, when I need to choose two:
10x42 SF
10x32 SF

But luckily we can have more…
I might also get a 8x32 SF, or maybe another brand. We‘ll see.

I’m down to two binoculars at the moment. Perhaps they’re not the combo I would choose, but it’s what I’m working with.

The NL 12x42 is good for pretty much everything, but I sometimes play around with a massive two year old Pentax 20x60.

Been meaning to sell the Pentax for a while, but I’m not sure if I’ll get around to that. Compared to the NLs, it’s like looking through a keyhole! (2.2 degree FOV). But I do enjoy long range viewing.

Both are pretty big, though. A pocket would be nice.

Attachments

• IMG_5797.jpeg
    IMG_5797.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back