• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBW Alive transition (1 Viewer)

‡ the HBW Alive Key, alt. Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology

Sadly, our dear HBW Alive Key, is now, "definitively" closed down. The highly appreciated and frequently used link (https://www.hbw.com/dictionary/key-to-scientific-names-in-ornithology) now suddenly explain nothing ... but send you directly to Cornell's Birds of the World (where nothing, absolutely nothing, is said about our main concern; Bird name Etymology), feels a bit disappointing, somewhat crestfallen (even if as advertised and expected). I've been visiting the Key just about every day, for years (since the end of May 2014), and now it's all over.

Well, well, it was fun while it lasted.

See you all ... whenever the interruption is over, when it's up and running again, in the BoW version.

Until then: Stay corona safe!

Björn

PS. James, many, many thanks for sharing the Key with us. During the (just about) six years, while it was "Alive", the Key has been an invaluable resource, an absolute, downright gift, that has given us so much knowledge (and ditto to ponder over). Cheers!

Keep up the Good work.
--

Last edited:
Yep,
the link I was looking at earlier today for Malayan Laughingthrush on HBW, now takes you to the Cornell site.

I won't give them oxygen by posting a link.

Last edited:
The goal is to transfer the contents of the HBWAlive Key from Lynx Edicions to the Cornell BoW site, where it can be visited free of charge. However, I am still waiting for confirmation of accessibility before authorising the transfer (there are some other minor matters which can be easily overcome), and the thrice-accursed c-virus has now interfered with negotiations. There will doubtless be a hiatus until the autumn, or fall as our cousins over the pond term it, and I regret being unable to shed further light on the matter at present. As well as my antecedent Dictionaries I still have the Key in MS, and will keep that updated as necessary. Thank you all for your patience and enthusiasm. Stay safe and well.

Glad to hear there is room for negotiation, James, and you are indeed owner of your own works of labour, i.e. copyright. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back