• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Merriam X 2 ... and their Birds (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Due to Fred's (and Laurent's) posts in this recent thread, in the Bird Paleontology sub-forum, I had a quick look at the scientific name merriami ...

In today's Key we find it explained as:
merriami
Dr Clinton Hart Merriam (1855-1942) US ornithologist, zoologist, ethnologist, co-founder of National Geographic Society 1888 (subsp. Cyrtonyx montezumae, subsp. Meleagris gallopavo, Teratornis).

But, I don't think this is fully correct, only as in:
• the debated (and questioned) Montezuma Quail ssp. Cyrtonyx montezumae merriami NELSON 1897 (here), as "Cyrtonyx merriami", a k a Merriam's Partridge:
I have to express my obligation to Dr. C. Hart Merriam, Chief of the Biological Survey, under whose direction the field work was done, for the opportunity to report upon the material obtained.
[...]

It is named in honor of Dr. C. Hart Merriam, under whose direction our work in Mexico has been done.
(Wild) Turkey ssp. Meleagris gallopavo merriami NELSON 1900 (here), a k a Merriam's Turkey:
I take pleasure in naming this handsome bird in honor of Dr. C. Hart Merriam, whose well-known biological survey of San Francisco Mountain was made within sight of the type locality.
Both (indeed) commemorating the US ornithologist, etc., etc., Dr Clinton Hart Merriam (1855–1942) ...

However, in:
in the extinct (subfossil) Teratornis merriami MILLER 1909 (here):
The form described in this paper is given its specific name in honor of Professor John C. Merriam of the University of California.
... which ought to be the US Paleontologist Professor John Campbell Merriam (1869–1945), of the University of California.

Note that the same Bulletin of the Department of Geology (where the latter OD appeared) is full of Papers by the same John C. Merriam. See for example/s both the preceding Paper, and the next-following one.

Anyone who thinks otherwise?

Björn

PS. The latter Bird was, and is, incl. in my MS (as it's been called "Merriams terratorn" in some Swedish texts), even if I hadn't found time to look into it until now. Thanks for the assistance, Fred and Laurent! (y)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back