• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

heinei (1 Viewer)

l_raty

laurent raty
The Key:
heinei
Ferdinand Heine (1809-1894) German ornithologist, founder of Museum Heineanum, Halberstadt (subsp. Alaudala rufescens, subsp. Clytorhynchus vitiensis, subsp. Larus canus, syn. Ognorhynchus icterotis, Tangara, Zoothera).

The Eponym dictionary of birds:
Heine
Black-capped Tanager Tangara heinei Cabanis, 1850
Heine’s Ground Thrush Zoothera heinei Cabanis, 1850
[Alt. Russet-tailed Thrush]
Heine’s Kingbird Tyrannus apolites Cabanis & Heine, 1859 NCR
[Hybrid: Empidonomus varius x Tyrannus melancholicus]
Heine’s Hermit Phaethornis apheles Heine, 1884 NCR
[Alt. Grey-chinned Hermit; JS Phaethornis griseogularis zonura]

Lesser Shrikebill ssp. Clytorhynchus vitiensis heinei Finsch & Hartlaub, 1870
Lesser Short-toed Lark ssp. Calandrella rufescens heinei Homeyer, 1873
Ferdinand Heine (1809–1894) was a German landowner and collector. His massive collection is housed by the Museum of Natural Science within the Heineanum Halberstadt Museum in Halberstadt, Saxony, and was recognised as the biggest private collection of birds in the mid-19th century. It has 15,000 books and 27,000 specimens of birds. Jean Louis Cabanis wrote about Heine in Museum Heineanum, Verzeichniss de Ornithologischensammlung des Oberamtmann Ferdinand Heine auf Gut St. Burchard vor Halberstadt.
He was the German ornithologist, Oberamtmann (Chief Magistrate) Jakob Gottlieb Ferdinand Heine, senior (9 Mar 1809 - 28 Mar 1894) "auf Klostergut St. Burchard vor Halberstadt".
His elder son was the German ornithologist, agronomist and plant-breeder Jakob Gottlieb Ferdinand Heine, junior (9 Feb 1840 - 12 Feb 1920).

All the scientific eponyms appear to be for the father.
The son co-authored Museum heineanum with Jean Cabanis, and co-edited his father's Nomenclator musei heineani ornithologici with Anton Reichenow; it's him, not his father, who was involved in the description of the species that are given eponymous vernacular names in the Eponym dictionary: "Heine’s Kingbird Tyrannus apolites Cabanis & Heine, 1859 NCR [Hybrid: Empidonomus varius x Tyrannus melancholicus]" (OD: T.2 (1859-1860) - Museum Heineanum : - Biodiversity Heritage Library) and "Heine’s Hermit Phaethornis apheles Heine, 1884 NCR [Alt. Grey-chinned Hermit; JS Phaethornis griseogularis zonura]" (OD: ser.4:Jahrg.32=no.165-168 (1884) - Journal für Ornithologie. - Biodiversity Heritage Library).

Last edited:
Re. the eponymous vernacular name(s*); Heine’s Kingbird Tyrannus apolites Cabanis & Heine, 1859 ... (OD: T.2 ...

Museum Heineanum ... (1850–1863)

Note that BHL claim that the (main) co-author (to Cabanis), of this Work, was: "Heine, Ferdinand 1809-1894" and that: "Vol. 3 and 4 [1860–1863] are by J. Cabanis and F. Heine, Jr."

To me, the Son looks (far too) young (if born in 1840, of course) to have been involved in the first part of this work, and still (fairly) young to have been participating in the latter parts ... :unsure:

Just an observation

Björn

*Regardless the eponymous (English) vernacular name "Heine’s Hermit Phaethornis apheles Heine, 1884.

Last edited:
Note that BHL claim that the (main) co-author (to Cabanis), of this Work, was: "Heine, Ferdinand 1809-1894" and that: "Vol. 3 and 4 [1860–1863] are by J. Cabanis and F. Heine, Jr."

To me, the Son looks (far too) young (if born in 1840, of course) to have been involved in the first part of this work, and still (fairly) young to have been participating in the latter parts ...

It was in the second volume, not in the first one (for which he was indeed really too young).
The title page of volume 2 tells us:
Verzeichniss der onithologischen Sammlung des Oberamtmann Ferdinand Heine auf Gut St. Burchard vor Halherstadt,
Mit kritischen Anmerkungen und Beschreibung der neuen Arten systematisch bearbeitet von Dr Jean Cabanis, erstem Custos der Königlichen zoologischen Sammlung zu Berlin und Ferdinand Heine, Stud. philos.
This clearly makes Cabanis and a "Ferdinand Heine" then a student (= the son, who started studying natural sciences in Heidelberg in 1858), responsible for the new species descriptions and systematic arrangement in a list of the birds found in a collection that belonged to a "Ferdinand Heine" then an Oberamtmann (= the father). The title pages of volumes 3-4 do not differ from that of volume 2 in these respects, hence I do not understand why BHL treats these differently. (The title page of volume 1 gives only Cabanis as the author of the descriptions and arrangement, without "und Ferdinand Heine, Stud. philos.".)

The description of the hermit was presented at a meeting by Reichenow, explicitly, on behalf of "Herrn F. Heine jr."

That said, in both cases, the described bird was in the Museum heineanum, which was the collection of Ferdinand Heine senior, and an English name starting with "Heine's" might admittedly be understood as referring to this.

Note also, in the Dictionary:
Elisabeth (Heine)
Forest Kingfisher ssp. Todiramphus macleayii elisabeth Heine, 1883
[Trinomial often given as elizabeth, but original spelling was with an s]

Elisabeth Heine née Rimpau (1844–1932) was the wife of the describer, H. Heine (q.v.).
Ignoring the "H.", which is presumably a typo, the quod vide in this entry can only refer the reader to the single Heine entry of the book which is for "Ferdinand Heine (1809–1894)", i.e., senior; but the describer (ser.4:Jahrg.31=no.161-164 (1883) - Journal für Ornithologie. - Biodiversity Heritage Library), and husband to Anna Elisabeth ("Else") Rimpau, 1844-1932 (for her full name, see here, here, here; "Elizabeth" would be pronounced differently and is an improbable spelling in German), was Ferdinand junior.

The Key:
elisabeth
[...]​
Elizabeth Heine née Rimpau (1844-1932) wife of German ornithologist Ferdinand Heine, Jr. (subsp. Todiramphus macleayii).​

Last edited:
The Key:

The Eponym dictionary of birds:

He was the German ornithologist, Oberamtmann (Chief Magistrate) Jakob Gottlieb Ferdinand Heine, senior (9 Mar 1809 - 28 Mar 1894) "auf Klostergut St. Burchard vor Halberstadt".
His elder son was the German ornithologist, agronomist and plant-breeder Jakob Gottlieb Ferdinand Heine, junior (9 Feb 1840 - 12 Feb 1920).

All the scientific eponyms appear to be for the father.
The son co-authored Museum heineanum with Jean Cabanis, and co-edited his father's Nomenclator musei heineani ornithologici with Anton Reichenow; it's him, not his father, who was involved in the description of the species that are given eponymous vernacular names in the Eponym dictionary: "Heine’s Kingbird Tyrannus apolites Cabanis & Heine, 1859 NCR [Hybrid: Empidonomus varius x Tyrannus melancholicus]" (OD: T.2 (1859-1860) - Museum Heineanum : - Biodiversity Heritage Library) and "Heine’s Hermit Phaethornis apheles Heine, 1884 NCR [Alt. Grey-chinned Hermit; JS Phaethornis griseogularis zonura]" (OD: ser.4:Jahrg.32=no.165-168 (1884) - Journal für Ornithologie. - Biodiversity Heritage Library).

I thought this was quite an interesting one. In Colombia, everyone pronounces the common species Tangara heinei as [written as an English person would say it] "Tangara haynay" rather than "hy-ner-i" as it should be.

The other oddity is anything that starts with an "s", which in Spanish becomes "es", E.g. the odd-sounding "Eskutchia" for Skutchia.

I thought this was quite an interesting one. In Colombia, everyone pronounces the common species Tangara heinei as [written as an English person would say it] "Tangara haynay" rather than "hy-ner-i" as it should be.

The other oddity is anything that starts with an "s", which in Spanish becomes "es", E.g. the odd-sounding "Eskutchia" for Skutchia.
I only mention this because Spanish usually results in a more or less close approximation to how Classical Latin is taught - unlike English. These are exceptions that don’t work when the origin is Germanic.

I am very confused by some of the genealogy websites. There was a plant breeder and correspondent of Darwin named Wilhelm Rimpau but not the father of Else Heine? But the websites confuse them?

I am very confused by some of the genealogy websites. There was a plant breeder and correspondent of Darwin named Wilhelm Rimpau but not the father of Else Heine? But the websites confuse them?
Arnold Diedrich Wilhelm Rimpau (b. 29 Aug 1842, d. 20 May 1903) -- German Wikipedia: Wilhelm Rimpau (Agrarwissenschaftler) – Wikipedia

This seems to be Else Heine's brother, if I understand things correctly ?

Geni: Arnold Diedrich Wilhelm Rimpau
Geneanet: Family tree of Arnold Diedrich Wilhelm Rimpau
Ancestry: Arnold Dietrich Wilhelm Rimpau 1842-1903 - Ancestry®

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back