• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caprimulgus donaldsoni Sharpe, 1895 and others (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Caprimulgus donaldsoni Sharpe, 1895 OD v.1-9=no.1-64 (1892-1899) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library
...from Dr. Donaldson Smith's expidition...
Crithagra donaldsoni (Sharpe, 1895) OD v.1-9=no.1-64 (1892-1899) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Plocepasser donaldsoni Sharpe, 1895 OD v.1-9=no.1-64 (1892-1899) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Tauraco leucotis donaldsoni (Sharpe, 1895) OD v.1-9=no.1-64 (1892-1899) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Cossypha semirufa donaldsoni Sharpe, 1895 OD v.1-9=no.1-64 (1892-1899) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Cosmopsarus regius donaldsoni van Someren, 1919 OD v.38-40=no.227-252 (1917-1920) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Merops superciliosus donaldsoni Oberholser, 1904 OD v.27=no.1350-1381 (1904) - Proceedings of the United States National Museum - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Prinia rufifrons smithi (Sharpe, 1895)OD v.1-9=no.1-64 (1892-1899) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Turdoides leucopygia smithii (Sharpe, 1895) OD v.1-9=no.1-64 (1892-1899) - Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Zosterops smithi Neumann, 1902 OD 10, 1902 - Ornithologische Monatsberichte - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Just a couple of tasters:

Arthur Donaldson-Smith (1864-1939) was a traveller and hunter. He was a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society. Of American birth, he was a big-game hunter in Africa and seems to have spent a great deal of time in East Africa, He was probably in Ethiopia at the time and may have been present at Ethiopia’s victory over the Italians at the Battle of Adwa in 1896. He published Through Unknown African Countries in 1897. Sharpe described both the Nightjar and Sparrow-weaver in the same year - 1895.

Birds
Donaldson-Smith’s Nightjar Caprimulgus donaldsoni
Donaldson-Smith’s Sparrow-weaver Plocepasser donaldsoni

Smith's Nightjar Caprimulgus donaldsoni Sharpe, 1895
Donaldson Smith's Sparrow Weaver Plocepasser donaldsoni Sharpe, 1895
Northern Grosbeak Canary Serinus donaldsoni Sharpe, 1895 [Syn. Crithagra donaldsoni]
Donaldson's Turaco Tauraco leucotis donaldsoni Sharpe, 1895 [Alt. White-cheeked Turaco ssp.]
Rüppell's Robin Chat ssp. Cossypha semirufa donaldsoni Sharpe, 1895
Olive Bee-eater ssp. Merops superciliosus donaldsoni Oberholser, 1904 NCR [JS Merops superciliosus superciliosus]
Golden-breasted Starling ssp. Cosmopsarus regius donaldsoni van Someren, 1919 NCR [JS Lamprotornis regius regius]
Dr Arthur Donaldson Smith (1864–1939) was a traveller and big-game hunter of American birth who spent much time in East Africa. He visited Lake Rudolph (Lake Turkana) (1895 and 1899). He was in Ethiopia (1896) and may have been present at the Ethiopian victory over the Italians at the Battle of Adwa. He wrote Through Unknown African Countries (1897) and was later elected a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society. A mammal is named after him. Note that his name is often incorrectly hyphenated in the literature. (See also Smith, A. D.)

The Key to Scientific Names - Birds of the World
Dr Arthur Donaldson Smith (1864-1939) US big-game hunter, naturalist, collector in Abyssinia and Somaliland 1894-1895 (Caprimulgus, syn. Cosmopsarus regius, subsp. Cossypha semirufa, Crithagra, syn. Merops superciliosus, Plocepasser, Tauraco).
Dr Arthur Donaldson Smith (1864-1939) US big-game hunter, naturalist, collector in Abyssinia and Somaliland 1894-1895 (subsp. Prinia rufifrons, subsp. Turdoides leucopygia, syn. Zosterops abyssinicus jubaensis).

Crocidura smithii Thomas, 1895 ser.6:v.16=no.91-96 (1895) - The Annals and magazine of natural history - Biodiversity Heritage Library
...presented by Dr. E. Donalson Smith.
Pseuderemias smithii (Boulenger, 1895) OD 1895 - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library

If this page is correct https://www.geographicus.com/P/ctgy&Category_Code=donaldsonsmitharthur

Donaldson Smith, Arthur (April 27, 1866 - February 19, 1939)​

But feel free to correct me if birth 1866 is not the year of birth. But other sources indicating as well 1866 e.g. Arthur Donaldson SMITH, b.1866 d.1939 - Ancestry®

Last edited:
According to all official records (i.e. birth, death, passports etc) he was Smith, Arthur Donaldson (April 27, 1866 - February 19, 1939) i.e. no hyphen and in the American way it appears he used Donaldson as a first name much like Harrison Ford I guess.

I assume that the claim of his alleged Birth (of "1864") could originate from this short Death notice:
Arthur Donaldson Smith, who did research work in Africa, born in 1864, died in February 20, 1939.

However, note that the Database Europeans in East Africa has him (even if he wasn't all that 'European') as:
Name: SMITH, Arthur Donaldson (Dr.)

[with yet another Photo of him]

Birth Date: 27 Apr 1866 Philadelphia

Death Date: 19 Feb 1939 Philadelphia

Nationality: American

[...]

Profession: Soldier, physician, hunter. Travelled down to Marsabit from Berbera in 1896, a year before Delamere. The first white man to see Marsabit and enter British Territory from the north

[...]

... and onwards.
[here]​

For what it's worth ... :rolleyes:

Björn

Last edited:
Another (later) Photo/Portrait of what ought to be "our guy" (Donaldson Smith) is kept in the National Museum of American History (Behring Center), here.

And in the Archives of the American Geographical Society (kept by the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee), they have some letters, written both by hand or type-writer, both to and from: "Smith, Arthur Donaldson, 1866-1939" here.

Another death note/Obituary here
(from The Tampa Tribune, Florida):
images.jpeg
... and note the age, given as "74".

I guess the full story would/could/might be found in the Book Arthur Donaldson Smith and the Exploration of Lake Rudolph, by Pascal James Imperato (1987) ...

Arthur Donaldson Smith ... by Pascal James Imperato (1987).jpg

Either way: Enjoy!

/B

Last edited:
I assume that the claim of his alleged Birth (of "1864") could originate from this short Death notice:

I can't tell the actual source of the error with certainty, but it is certainly much older than this. The earliest claim for 1864 that came out in a quick Google Books search was this, published in 1897. Many works from the first third of the 20th C listed him with this birth year.

(This [published 1894] gives him correctly as born in 1866, but also lists another Smith [Henry Austie], who was born in 1864 and entered the University of Pennsylvania in the same year as him [1881]. I guess that a conflation of these two men is conceivable, but this would probably be hard to prove beyond any doubt.)

Last edited:
I guess the full story would/could/might be found in the Book Arthur Donaldson Smith and the Exploration of Lake Rudolph, by Pascal James Imperato (1987) ...
Lake Rudolf not Rudolph. First published in 1987 in the New York State Journal of Medicine as "Arthur Donaldson Smith, MD: Physician, Explorer, Naturalist, and Diplomat."

Attachments

• Arthur Donaldson Smith, MD - Physician, Explorer, Naturalist, and Diplomat.pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 14
This excellent paper explains the usage of the name Donaldson as a first name and just like his brother, Henry Cavalier Smith used Cavalier as a first name. Donaldson and Cavalier were maternal grandparents and paternal great-grandparents surnames respectively.

Lake Rudolf not Rudolph. ...
Oupps, my error, my slippery fingers (or my muddy eyes – the cover itself, in post #4, does indeed say Lake Rudolf) ...

A copy, paste issue/problem, from here, I assume. :rolleyes:

Either way, mea culpa. Sorry.

And, Mike, thanks a lot for showing us the original Paper! (y)

/B

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back