• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heliothryx barroti (Bourcier, 1843) & Phænicophaus barrotii Eydoux et Souleyet, 1841 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Heliothryx barroti (Bourcier, 1843) OD 1843 - Revue zoologique - Biodiversity Heritage Library
dédiée à M. Barrot, ancien consul généralà Carthagène, qui le premier l'a envoyée en Europe.
Phænicophaus barrotii Eydoux et Souleyet, 1841 OD t.1:ptie.1 (1841) - Zoologie - Biodiversity Heritage Library plate (1841-1852) [Atlas] - Zoologie - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Nous la devons à M. Adolphe Barrot, consul général à Manille, à qui nous l'avons dédiée.
About the publishing date:
I would date the entire bird text to 18 Dec 1841.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Barrot's Fairy Heliothryx barroti Bourcier, 1843 [Alt. Purple-crowned Fairy]
Theodore Adolphe Barrot (1801–1870) was a French diplomat who served in Colombia (1831–1835) and the Philippines (1835–1838). He became a senator (1864) under Napoleon III in the Second Empire. He wrote Unless Unless Haste is Made: A French Sceptic's Account of the Sandwich Islands (1836). He had the distinction that, although not of noble blood, he became a Knight of the Royal Illustrious Order of St Januarius, which was founded in in Naples in the 16th century by the Habsburg King of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.

The Key to Scientific Names
Théodore Adolphe Barrot (1801-1870) French diplomat in Colombia 1831-1835, and the Philippines 1835-1838 (Heliothryx, syn. Lepidogrammus cumingi).

I agree to:
  • "Phœnicophaus Barrotii" [*] (p. 89, pl. 6)

*listed as of/with single ending -i in the Key.

Some more on him in Wikipedia.

Birth record here p. 19/101 (reconstructed)
Death record (Cote V4E 951) here p. 11/31 (8. Arrondisement)

So it might be worth to update the key with barrotii
Apart from that nothing additional to claim from my side. But feel free to add any new informattion.

P. S. Léonore seems to have him only as Adolphe Barrot and born 180

Last edited:
His death record says he died on 15 Jun 1870 ('hier', on 16 Jun 1870) while aged 68 years and 8 months. This should in principle place his birth less in the month preceding 15 Nov 1801.

(His Léonore file is unusually light -- only 4 documents, none of which bears his signature, no copy of his birth record...)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back