• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from NC (1 Viewer)

Tripp

United States
Hi all - I just ran across this forum while trying to ID loud, strange screech/scream sounds coming from my yard the past few weeks. I think it's young Barred owls trying to learn how to call. I came to this realization a few nights ago when at least 4 adults were hooting from different trees, while the single screeches were interspersed and very close. I finally was able to spot a young owl as it was bobbing it's head on a branch 15-20 feet above me. It was eying me curiously and was a lot bigger than I expected. Very cool experience!

Hi Tripp and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Gosh!!! What a great experience you had with those owls.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, Tripp. Welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. I would be so happy to have owls nesting near me, let alone in my yard.

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I'm sure I'll check back in with this group as I get more acquainted with the local birds in my area. Never though much about birds until my friend set up a few bird feeders this year. We like to sit back and watch them interact with each other and just recently started trying to ID them. Then the owls started hanging out at dusk around my house - these are on a whole other level. Wish I could see them more vs just hearing them, but do occasionally catch a glimpse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back