• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello - I need some advice please. (1 Viewer)

RTOW

Hi everyone I am new to this forum. My father wants me to sell some binoculars on ebay but I don't have a clue - I know they are worth abit just need some advice.
They are Optolyth Alpin and the serial number is 56041. Someone has advised me that they are from the 1970's. They focus fine and the lenses are fine. There is some paint missing on the metal but absolutely work great.
Thanks in advance. Robyn xx

Hi Robyn and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Binocular forum and subscribed you to the thread so that you can find it easily. You will receive an email with a link to click on which will bring you straight here.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi everyone I am new to this forum. My father wants me to sell some binoculars on ebay but I don't have a clue - I know they are worth abit just need some advice.
They are Optolyth Alpin and the serial number is 56041. Someone has advised me that they are from the 1970's. They focus fine and the lenses are fine. There is some paint missing on the metal but absolutely work great.

Okay, we need to start with basic facts - I'm afraid you both may be disappointed regarding the value and potential interest, but let's try to help you. I'm guessing you're wondering what they may be worth? They were a good lightweight popular brand back in the 1970s, made in West Germany and retailed here in the UK by a company called Ace Optics of Bath

First thing, what is the specification something like eg 8 x 40, or 10 x 50 and if they have any letters after that.

Secondly, the condition ...are the lense coatings scratched / is the image clear and sharp. You say they focus fine which is good. Is the rubber armouring complete and shiny or dull and worn?

Thirdly, what accessories are there? A case, original neck strap, dust caps and rainguard?

I dont think you can post photos yet.

Meanwhile I'm sure you have searched the auction sites to see if there are any similar units on offer; there are some on Ebay to give you an idea - you will see how wide ranging the prices are. Only the complete, unblemished units attract reasonable offers from a collector.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Here is a pair of Vintage Optolyth Alpin 10x40 binoculars for sale on eBay for $199.00 with $19.00 shipping. They are probably similar to yours although the S/N is 25844 so yours could be newer. Compare the condition of yours to these and adjust your price up or down based on if yours are in better or worse condition than these. I would list them a little lower than his because people always look for the best bargain! Good luck!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ge...398549?hash=item4b7aa851d5:g:H7kAAOSwHhRb0EGC

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 25
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    142 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back