• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello, New here, need a little help (1 Viewer)

ronh1970

United States
I have a Robin (lone robin) under my deck in a nest.. Its a baby. There are 4 dead babies on the ground around it, this one is slightly larger than the dead babies. I wonder if it had been abandoned since it seems like something may have roused the nest. We live in the middle of the woods so it may have been anything. I suppose im wondering if its on its own. I have not introduced anything to it in terms of food and have left it be. Any Enlightenment is appreciated!

Hi Ron and welcome to BirdForum!
Do you see either parent coming in to feed the lone nestling? If so, that's a good sign. If not, it certainly needs to be fed. Try to find a local wildlife org. near you. If not, try calling a local vet in your area to see what they suggest. A local pet store may be able to supply you with what the nestling can eat. They don't need to be fed at night. Try doing a google search for a wildlife rehabilitator in the area that you live. Good luck buddy and please keep us updated,

Thank you for the welcome! The nest is not in an area where we can easily view, so we havent seen any thing fly in or out. but now that i know its there I will go back down this evening and see if a parent shows up. I suppose they would roost in there at night so if theres no one in there then maybe its by itself.

Hi Ron and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It sounds very like this nest has been predated so the safety of this remaining one is rather in doubt. It might be an idea to contact a local wildlife rescue / rehabbers and have a word with them.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Both KC and Delia have given better advice than I could have.

Thank you all Again.. Kinda funny Im on several forums, some I have been on for a very long time regarding motorcycles, so Im use to being the one welcoming the new person and answering questions.
So to follow up (I hate it when someone pipes in with a question then disappears and you never hear the rest of the story) Today I cam home from the office early so I could go with my wife to a DR appt, but I was also able to take advantage of the daylight and got a good look in the nest. I stood on a stump under my deck and put my phone directly above it and was able to record a nice plump baby Robin. Hes much larger then the dead babies below the nest were. So with that Im thinking hes probably being well taken care of by his PArents and im best to just leave well enough alone. I will check on him daily though, Its hard tryin to see if the parents are visiting because its under our rear deck, We are surrounded by woods right up to within 20' of the house and there are birds flying everywhere. Im hoping one of thise is his mama, seems like it is. If this is not the correct course of action, please speak up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back