• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help ID - Ontario, Canada photo taken today (1 Viewer)

Hi all,
As I am new to birding I am fairly certain I know the species of this bird, but wanted your opinions as I know how similar many species can look. This bird has built a nest under a light fixture in my pool house, I plan to leave it until the young ones have left.
Thanks kindly for your time.

Photo taken today in Barrie, Ontario Canada.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 12.14.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 12.14.15 PM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 12.14.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 12.14.07 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 39
Thank you, I thought it was for sure the Eastern Wood Pewee. This is quite a challenging hobby.
Challenging but rewarding! Flycatcher's are among the most difficult groups as well. One thing to help rule out Wood-pewee is the shorter primary projection (the extension of the wing tips beyond the rest of the wing). Habits are also helpful with Phoebes commonly perching on man-made structures and typically staying closer to the ground while Wood-pewees tend to prefer an open snag/bare branch, at mid-high levels in the canopy

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back