• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HELP!! mourning bird abandoned nest with one egg and now bird is back 4 days later? (1 Viewer)

rumisra

On April 17, 2013 I noticed a mourning doves nest with two white eggs in it (not quite sure how long it had been there, but I am guessing not that long) on my roof gutter two feet from my balcony (I live on top floor apartment).
I noticed mama and papa birds taking shifts so that the eggs were constantly incubated by them throughout the day.
On the morning of April 26, 2013 I noticed one egg hatched and the other was still being incubated by papa. When I returned from work later that day the baby bird wasn't really moving and papa wasn't really paying it any attention.
April 27, 2013 morning, baby bird is gone, and mama bird is incubating the remaining egg. Later that afternoon mama bird flew off and nest with remaining egg is abandoned.
April 30, 2013 morning, bird is back on egg after 4 days of being left un-incubated. The bird is a mourning dove, but doesn't appear to be mama or papa (looks slightly different).

1. WILL THIS EGG SURVIVE NOT BEING INCUBATED FOR 4 DAYS?
2. IS THE BIRD THAT'S ON EGG NOW, MAMA OR PAPA? OR RANDOM BIRD WHICH SAW A EGG THAT'S ABONDONED?
3. HELP!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO??
I have been taking pictures of the process from my cell phone, and have not touched the nest/eggs/etc. But I do have a dog (super little guy that is only 3 pounds and gated away from gutter/nest). I figured me going out there taking pics didn’t disturb the birds since they were there constantly for almost 2 weeks. I think they may have left for 4 days due to first baby bird dying (which I think it died because it is still quite cold here in Boston), or do you think it was because of me and dog being out there? Wouldn’t they have left long ago if feeling threatened?

PS: I LIVE IN MASSACHUSETTS WHERE THE PAST WEEK IT GOT UP TO 72 DEGREES IN THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING TIME IN THE MID-HIGH 30S.

Attachments

• 4.17 MAMA.jpg
    4.17 MAMA.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 4.20 MAMA.jpg
    4.20 MAMA.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 4.26 PAPA ON EGG 2 BABY 1 HATCHED.jpg
    4.26 PAPA ON EGG 2 BABY 1 HATCHED.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 4.27 EVENING ABANDONED.jpg
    4.27 EVENING ABANDONED.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 4.30 A BIRD IS BACK.jpg
    4.30 A BIRD IS BACK.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 97
Mourning doves have a long breeding season, but that seems a bit early for breeding. Most birds around here just started building nests a couple of weeks ago. I think you're right, the cold was a problem for the chick - or maybe the parents just couldn't find enough food for it so early in the year.

1. I would be surprised.
2. If it looks like a different bird, it's a different bird.
3. Watch and see what happens. I expect the egg will not hatch, the new occupant will either find a mate or wander away leaving the nest open for another couple, and you may have a new brood later this year (mourning doves breed almost all summer).

Do try to use CAPS LOCK a bit less often.

Doves are relatively tolerant of human presence. Your taking photos (and especially the dog) probably didn't help but I don't think that was as important as the cold and the fact that this year's spring was much later than last year.

I agree with nartreb's analysis and recommendations. As he said, with luck there will be another breeding attempt later in the season, maybe a successful one this time, though it's a sad fact that most Mourning Dove nests come to grief for one reason or another even under good conditions. That has certainly been the case with the numerous Mourning Doves nests on my property in Reno over the years, though there have been some successes including a few on my front porch.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back