• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help need with Australian Waders 1 (1 Viewer)

Greg McKay

I like the pretty colors
Hi all once again my confession I'm hopeless with waders.
SO I need help another couple of posts to follow.
#1 I think is a banded stilt possibly young with no banding
# 2 and 3 Lots of thoughts but to many to even make a suggestion I think the black shoulder band #3 might be the wind blowing against feathers
#4Red Necked Stints but is there possibly a little stint amongst them (just to the left of reeds) or a male still in breeding plumage
#5 if #4 is red necked stints then so are these.

Attachments

• Banded Stilt.jpg
    Banded Stilt.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Dont know.jpg
    Dont know.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Don't know.jpg
    Don't know.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 137
  • RNS +.jpg
    RNS +.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 126
  • RNS.jpg
    RNS.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
1) No idea about stilts in Australia.
2) Marsh Sandpiper, due to the greenish-yellow legs and thin bill.
3) A Calidris, and the bill length and apparent structure would make me think it's a stint, most likely Red-necked on location.
4) A varied assemblage of waders! The smaller ones are Red-necked Stints, then there's a few Red Knot, the more patterned wader just left of the vegetation looks like a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and there seems to be a sleeping Great Knot in the top left of the image, due to the flank streaking (there may also be the head of a second, with a long bill, showing immediately left of the vegetation (surely mangrove branches, and not reeds) and above the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper).
5) Red-necked Stints.

#3 IMO is a plover/dotterel type, not a calidrid, it appears to have a white collar.

cheers

Roy

What species likely would have a bill this (apparently) long and thin? I could buy it as a Kentish-type but for that bill, to be honest: the legs appear set well back on the body. The bill was the main pointer to a calidrid, for me.
Any more pics, no matter how bad, of this bird?

I was thinking the same (replying here to TB), which would make it probably Red-capped Plover. But then, the beak looks rather thin for that species (unless it's camera angle), and would it be as grey-hued? If that black edged collar was not so pronounced it would look almost Sanderling-like. Don't you just love trying to id from one photo!!

Last edited:
I was thinking the same (replying here to TB), which would make it probably Red-capped Plover. But then, the beak looks rather thin for that species (unless it's camera angle), and would it be as grey-hued? If that black edged collar was not so pronounced it would look almost Sanderling-like. Don't you just love trying to id from one photo!!

I agree with both of you that on second thoughts a calidrid seems more likely as I can't reconcile this to any plover or dotterel either. More photos would be handy.

Cheers

Roy

Banded Stilt
Marsh Sand
Red-necked Stint with wind ruffling the nape feathers, colour of upperparts and bill just right
Red-necked Stints and sleeping Curlew Sandpipers
Red-necked Stints

agree with the stilt being Banded Stilt.

pic 3 is very odd, especialy with the bill not looking plover-like to me. Are there any other shots of this bird? I'm wondering if we're seeing shadow of wind-blown feathers making the black area and/or the white patch reflecting weirdly here. The whole bird doesn't make sense.

ah, cross-post with Sickle bill

The Knots Some more photos

I've tried to get better photos of the knots to help with Id and I'll get some more of the other bird soon.
Some red some great?

Attachments

• DSC_0056.jpg
    DSC_0056.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0055.jpg
    DSC_0055.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_3455.jpg
    DSC_3455.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_3456.jpg
    DSC_3456.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 51
I hope these help

1st photo is of Red Capped Plovers present at site
Others are of subject bird

Attachments

• Red Capped Plover.jpg
    Red Capped Plover.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_3433.jpg
    DSC_3433.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_3435.jpg
    DSC_3435.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_3436.jpg
    DSC_3436.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_3437.jpg
    DSC_3437.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 41
As suggested by sicklebill, the birds in photo 4 appear to be Curlew Sands rather than knots. A dark leg is visible on at least one bird, and knots should be larger relative to the stints and Sharp-tailed.

Oops! Shows how long it has been since I've seen a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, and also that I've never seen the species next to other Calidris. A quick Google search showing Sharp-tailed and Curlew Sandpipers together does suggest that at least some of the former would be more or less the same size, but shorter-legged. Maybe the sexual dimorphism with regard to size in the similar Pectoral Sandpiper gave me this false impression of Sharp-tailed Sandpiper being a larger bird, thinking of (presumed) male 'Pecs' that I have seen. Whatever, you are correct, the mystery birds are too small for Red Knot.
It does raise the question, however, of the bird with (apparent) fine flank streaking asleep near the top left-hand corner. If the streaking is real, and it seems to be, then perhaps east Asian Dunlin taxa share the propensity for flank streaking in winter plumage with North American birds? I can't see how a pure Curlew Sandpiper would have flank streaking, and this bird seems perhaps a tone darker grey above. A sleeping bird on the same level and further to the right seems similarly darker grey, perhaps.

Pete,
From my previous post:
"It does raise the question, however, of the bird with (apparent) fine flank streaking asleep near the top left-hand corner. If the streaking is real..."

I allowed for that possibility, especially given how little of the bird is visible, and the fact that the apparently darker grey upperparts may be due to ambient light/the angle of the bird. I'd not say either way what it is with so little visible with any degree of certainty.

Post 9 Photo 2 The larger bird in the centre top of the photo has a solid grey head and neck whilst the 2 other birds larger than the stints have a white breast going up to under the eye that the larger bird doesn't. I'm starting to get more confused the more I look at these photos

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back