• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Needed With Fungi ID Please (1 Viewer)

Gerry2

Hi

Found this little one growing on or amongst conifer debris under a heavy coating of moss the first week in December. The slightly decurrent gills and faint annular zone on the stem seem to tell me I should recognise it, but its got me beaten. I keep coming up with a Tubaria Sp. possibly T.furfuracea but probably way off the mark.

The second image (not brilliant) was taken a week later when I checked to see how they looked.

Would appreciate some help with ID.

Gerry

Growing on conifer debris.
Cap dia.>4cm
Stem ht.6cm dia.5mm
Flesh tan.

Attachments

• IMG_2362 (Tubaria furfuracea).jpg
    IMG_2362 (Tubaria furfuracea).jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2401.jpg
    IMG_2401.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 117
Gerry2 said:
Hi

Found this little one growing on or amongst conifer debris under a heavy coating of moss the first week in December. The slightly decurrent gills and faint annular zone on the stem seem to tell me I should recognise it, but its got me beaten. I keep coming up with a Tubaria Sp. possibly T.furfuracea but probably way off the mark.

The second image (not brilliant) was taken a week later when I checked to see how they looked.

Would appreciate some help with ID.

Gerry

Growing on conifer debris.
Cap dia.>4cm
Stem ht.6cm dia.5mm
Flesh tan.

It is not unlike Tubaria furfuracea, but neither is it a close match, and I would rule that one out on looks alone. It looks like a Galerina to me. Try searching the Weird Wild Web for a matching Galerina, and with luck you will get it.

I've taken a look in my Swiss guide, and Galerina pseudocamerina is a lookalike, and the size and habitat are okay. I'm not sure if it is a UK species. G. camerina is ruled out by the large size. G. autumnalis var. autumnalis is ruled out by the lined cap margin. As you may guess, I'm not a Galerina fan (the little ones are devils to id).

I'm sure Alan has a bigger book than me ...

Leif

Hi Gerry,

Are you sure these are the same thing?

I think both are Galerina species, but I'd say you have two species there. It is not unusual to have more than one species growing together, or fruiting successively from exactly the same spot (in heathy grassland, at least).

The reason I agree with Leif and rule out Tubaria for the first is that we can see rust tinges in the gills and on the surface of the slight ring - I am sure these tinges are from gatherings of spores, and Tubaria spores are buff coloured rather than rusty.

As for what species, well, as I always say, this is a microscope job. I think the second is most likely Galerina pumila, which is variable and common, but the first does not look like it. One of my most useful Galerina publications (actually a very slim book, but with excellent photographs) is in my office at work, so maybe I'll come back to this later. However, guessing at Galerina identifications without microscopic data is not wise.

As Leif has implied, the Swiss fungal flora is good for these species, but G. pseudocamerina is not known to be British.

Alan

Silver said:
Hi Gerry,

Are you sure these are the same thing?

I think both are Galerina species, but I'd say you have two species there. It is not unusual to have more than one species growing together, or fruiting successively from exactly the same spot (in heathy grassland, at least).

Hi Alan

Pretty certain the second one is the same fungi, have attached a couple more shots of the second one including a shot of the gills. Appears to have the same markings on the cap as the first which makes me think it is the same.

Any further feedback on Galerina Sp. possibilities would be more than welcome.

Gerry

Attachments

• IMG_2399.jpg
    IMG_2399.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2400.jpg
    IMG_2400.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back