• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Please Southeast Arizona, USA (1 Viewer)

Lisa W

I really need to get out and bird more
Staff member
Supporter
United States
I'm thinking some type of Oriole, or possibly a Tanager. Taken today, May 30, 2008 in Huachuca Canyon on Fort Huachuca in Southeast Arizona. I'm sure it's going to be easy and I'm going to look a fool, just can't get it to match up in my Sibley's.
Thanks,
Lisa

Attachments

• Unknown1 Huachuca Canyon May 30 2008.jpg
    Unknown1 Huachuca Canyon May 30 2008.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Unknown2 Huachuca Canyon May 30 2008.jpg
    Unknown2 Huachuca Canyon May 30 2008.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 106
  • Unknown3 Huachuca Canyon May 30 2008.jpg
    Unknown3 Huachuca Canyon May 30 2008.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 107
Female Hepatic Tanager would match with the coloration, the gray eyeline/auriculars, bill shape and size. It's also in range for southeastern AZ.

Hi Lisa,

Looks to be good for a female-type Hepatic Tanager. Prominent yellow on the forehead and throat; also note the dull auriculars and the trace of a black eye-line.

EDIT: Brandon beat me to it! ;)

Agree with female-type Hepatic Tanager. I think Sibley's is a bit misleading here in suggesting that there must be orange coloration on the throat.

By the way Lisa, a good way to distinguish orioles from tanagers is bill shape. Orioles have a conical beak with straight edges (or in some species slightly downcurved) coming to a sharp point. The Tanager's beak is much thicker towards the end and it comes to a rounded (or in this case actually hooked) point.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
The grayish bill would also point to hepatic tanager over all the other tanagers found in SE AZ (except a vagrant flame-colored, which would have prominent wing bars , and this bird doesn't).

Thanks everyone, I had gone away from the oriole family because of the bill. But then a "better birder" told me it was an oriole, so made me doubt myself.
I was thinking Tanager, but I didn't match it to the Hepatic, now that you all have pointed out the reasons it makes perfect sense.
Appreciate the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back