• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby Mourning Dove Left Nest (1 Viewer)

gpela

United States
Early today one of the baby mourning doves (approximately 5 days old since it hatched) was sitting on one of my window ledges when it got spooked and flew off across the street. The mom and dad weren’t at the nest, so I thought they would go search for the baby when they got back. It’s been about 7 hours since the baby flew off and I haven’t seen it anywhere, and haven’t heard the mom or dad coo for it.

I realize there’s nothing I can do to find it, but I can’t help feeling upset if the baby is lost and can’t fend for itself yet. Any reassurances if the baby will come back/mom and dad be able to find it??

Thanks for your post. May I tag your post to a reddit suburb?

Yesterday, I wrote in Reddit stating that I witnessed a baby mourning dove learns to fly in 4 days from hatching. A few comments suspect that I'm lying because they insist mourning dove cannot mature to fly within 4 days (even I attached a video to support its 4 days of growing up)

About your concern, check out the attached clip. I'm sure the baby isn't lost. It's parents are with it somewhere. Yet, they're unlikely returning to your sight.

I believe so because...
in my security camera footage, the father dove destroys the nest when he kicks his baby off the nest to learn flying. His baby learns to fly in less than a minute. Then, the father flies in the direction that the baby dove left my home. I haven't seen them since then. It's been 7 days. I just hold my belief in that they're living happily thereafter.

Welcome to Birdforum.

It sounds as though the bird had fledged if it can fly and is certainly more than five days out of the egg. It can fend for itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back