• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with this bird ID & what is that red blob called? (1 Viewer)

IDidiot

United States
I've searched everywhere, but I cannot find this bird. This is in central Gulf coast Florida, but I'm not sure it belongs here! And what the heck is the rd blob above the beak called? Sorry about the crummy picture... I actually wore out my camera body. UGH. So this was taken with my phone.

Thanks for your help!
20221201_143329.jpg

That's a Common Gallinule, resident in Florida wetlands with lots of vegetation. These and coots have what's called a "frontal shield" that extends up from the bill.
Excellent! Thank you! This is one of the three new species I got at a tiny pond in a small park in the large city of St. Petersburg.

Until 2011 this was considered to be the same species as the Old World common moorhen. It looks only a little bit different

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back