• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help identifying bird call, UK (1 Viewer)

Andil

United Kingdom
Hello :) new here but hoping members can help. We are lucky to live on the edge of the Peak District by deciduous woodland and near a stream. We have the most wonderful morning chorus and every day I hear this call and I cannot find answers from online searches and typical bird call recordings. I’m afraid I don’t have a recording, but there is a very distinctive long held clean note that descends/slides (like a whistle that slides down the scale). No trills. It might have a ‘pip, pip, pip, pip’ before it (usually 4 or 5 pips with a pause, then the long note) but I can’t be sure as there are so many calls going on at the same time. Would love to solve the mystery! Thank you :)

Thanks. it’s definitely not a chiff chaff or a willow warbler. It’s a very simple call, the best comparison I can think of is those musical slide whistles I used to play with as a kid. The call is very simple, long clear held note that slides down, and no trills or complexity. I know the usual garden bird calls, but I have been through so many websites trying less familiar ones and just can’t identify it! I’ll try the birdnet app, thank you, but not convinced it will be able to distinguish between all the other bird chatter.

Hello,
Welcome to Birdforum!
Another possibility is a Nuthatch, if you hear the call year around or a Tree Pipit, if you only hear it from end of April to June. Please compare to this excellent site, if you don’t know it already
Thank you. Great site! it’s not that either I’m afraid. if the pips relate to the same bird where I’m hearing the long note, they are much slower and ‘staccato’ (a bit like a robin’s warning call but slower, spaced further apart, louder, and only 4 before the significant pause and the long note). I wish I had a recording! It might have to be my mission…..

It might be that the pips are another bird? The most distinctive thing is the long note - if you whistle a note and let it slide down an octave that would be it!

Starling? (pips would be calls--usual Starling calls are harsh and different from that--while the whistle would be the beginning of a song)
Ooh yes could be! It seems longer than the one I’ve just listened to here ♫ Starling - song / call / voice / sound. but I think it might be the one! Thank you, haha. It’s such a well known bird but I hadn’t realised it made that sound. You’ve all had me intrigued and now I’m going to try and learn more. Thanks everyone!

Hi Andil and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Starlings are great mimics.... however, the rule of thumb here is that if you heard a call you don't recognise... it's a Great Tit LOL

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back