• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Vietnam bird id (1 Viewer)

miketaylor

Hi all,

In Aug 2016 I visited Vietnam on a family group tour, so there were very limited birding opportunities. I managed to get a few bird photos, which are on Flickr at: https://flic.kr/s/aHskDN23cE

I'm sure they are all common species, and I think I've managed to identify most of them correctly, but would appreciate it if someone could have a look through the pics to confirm the id. There are 41 bird photos, and one photo of a squirrel species.

Many thanks!

Regards,
Mike

Most of your IDs seem to be correct.

6332 is a Tree Sparrow.

6838 is Common Tailorbird.

The Prinia (6953-62) is Plain Prinia.

The Cuckoo sp. in 7005 is Plaintive Cuckoo.

7013-16 is male Brown-throated Sunbird.

@andyb39 - many thanks!

There were also large numbers of two different swift species in Saigon city centre around the Rex Hotel (on 7th August).

One species was black, with a white rump, similar in size to Common Swift, and nesting under the eaves of buildings opposite the Rex Hotel - I've identified this as House Swift.

The other species was brown, and smaller than Common Swift. I can't remember whether it had a pale rump. Would this be Germain's Swiftlet, or something else?

Thanks,
Mike

@andyb39 - many thanks!

There were also large numbers of two different swift species in Saigon city centre around the Rex Hotel (on 7th August).

One species was black, with a white rump, similar in size to Common Swift, and nesting under the eaves of buildings opposite the Rex Hotel - I've identified this as House Swift.

The other species was brown, and smaller than Common Swift. I can't remember whether it had a pale rump. Would this be Germain's Swiftlet, or something else?

Thanks,
Mike

the small brown one could also be Asian Palm Swift

the small brown one could also be Asian Palm Swift

Thanks. We saw Asian Palm Swift in Hue, and I remember it had very thin wings compared to Common Swift. The brown swifts in Saigon didn't, and I've identified them as Germain's based on a website I found listing the birds of Saigon - just wanted to check there were no other possibilities.

Mike

Another id question - on our boat trip on the Mekong Delta on 9th August I saw a couple of what I thought were Barn Swallows over a very wide part of the river. When I consulted the Craig Robson book I read that Pacific Swallow would be more likely on range and time of year, but Barn Swallow occurs as a passage migrant. But would 9th August be too early? The birds were some distance away so I didn't get a close look at them.

Mike

Another id question - on our boat trip on the Mekong Delta on 9th August I saw a couple of what I thought were Barn Swallows over a very wide part of the river. When I consulted the Craig Robson book I read that Pacific Swallow would be just more likely on range and time of year, but Barn Swallow occurs as a passage migrant. But would 9th August be too early? The birds were some distance away so I didn't get a close look at them.

Mike

I would imagine Barn would be just as likely.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back