• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hen Harrier? in the UK (1 Viewer)

I think this is an immature Hen Harrier. Taken in June at Dunstanburgh Northumberland. Could someone confirm this and would you know if it's a male or female>

Attachments

• Craster to Dunstanburgh Castle (50).JPG
    Craster to Dunstanburgh Castle (50).JPG
    521.8 KB · Views: 154
Definitely not a falconry display. If it was a falconry display they would have told me what it was. It didn't have any jesses on.

It was sitting on the cliff under Dunstanburgh Castle right where the nesting seabirds were. There were hundreds of kittiwakes, fulmar and razorbill. There were some remains of a previous meal, a razorbill, below. I saw it take off, fly among the kittiwakes and then return to its perch. The locals though it was a hen harrier. Loads of people saw it.

Here is a reverse view set against the cliffs but more distant.

Attachments

• Craster to Dunstanburgh Castle (50).JPG
    Craster to Dunstanburgh Castle (50).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
There are a million things wrong with it for a hen harrier, not least perching on a sea cliff digesting a razorbill! It is definitely a large falcon with a lot of gyrfalcon genes in it if not a pure gyrfalcon. Wild birds do show up from time to time but away from the highlands and islands the odds are strongly in favour of an escaped falconer's bird as per stonefaction's comment above.

Still an amazing sight to see I'm sure - they are impressive birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back