• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herald Petrel (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
AOU-SACC Proposal #582 (Jaramillo et al 2013): Split Pterodroma arminjoniana and P. atrata from heraldica.

[Presumably that should be "Split Pterodroma heraldica and P. atrata from P. arminjoniana".]

Herald Petrel P heraldica is recognised as a distinct species by Onley & Scofield 2007, Howell 2012, BirdLife, IOC, DBA.

Henderson Petrel P atrata is recognised as a distinct species by Onley & Scofield 2007, Kirwan 2013 (HBW Alive), BirdLife, H&M4, IOC, eBird/Clements.

Last edited:
Giglioli and Salvadori (1869) This date bugs me. Dr. Peterson too. From Zoonomen:
Pterodroma magentae Citation
Peters Checklist 1(2):68 (Jouanin & Mougin) list this taxon as "1869 (early)", though no evidence in support of this assertion of delayed publication is offered.
Edward Dickinson indicates (in litt. 2004.11.22) that his examination of the serial revealed no direct evidence of delayed publication.
No modification, notation or entry is found in the H&M Corrigenda 4 (2006.01.31). This is either oversight (probable), or acceptance without explanation of 1869 for this taxon and 1868 for another taxon (Caprimulgus climacurus nigricans (Salvadori)) for another taxon from the same volume and number (improbable).
In the abscence of actual evidence for a delay in the publication, the imprint date of 1868 appears to me to be appropriate to use here.
2004.11.24;2006.04.02.
Here is the OD of Pt. magentae, arminjoniana, & defilippiana, September 16 1868.
http://books.google.com/books?id=BT...laridi+raccolte+durante&source=gbs_navlinks_s . Page 450.
Priority!, says (No published authorities on Atti della Acadamia etc. More research needed)

The top of my browser on Proposal 582 says Add Silver Pheasant!

1868/1869?

Giglioli and Salvadori (1869) This date bugs me...
H&M4 (2013) is unchanged wrt H&M3 (2003)...
  • Caprimulgus climacurus nigricans (Salvadori, 1868)
  • Pterodroma defilippiana (Giglioli & Salvadori, 1869)
  • Pterodroma arminjoniana (Giglioli & Salvadori, 1869)
  • Pterodroma magentae (Giglioli & Salvadori, 1869)
But as Alan Peterson notes, all are from the same volume (p449, p453, p452, p451 respectively).

Last edited:
The top of my browser on Proposal 582 says Add Silver Pheasant!
Yes, it seems that every SACC proposal since #576 (Add Silver Pheasant Lophura nycthemera to the Main List as an introduced species) has that webpage title, and I've noticed similar behaviour with SACC proposals many times before. I guess that Van sometimes forgets to set it – or maybe he's deliberately using subliminal messages to influence the vote on #576. ;)

Dating the volume.
I searched for 1869 in the book and got two hits. One seemed to be discussing something happening in spring 1869. Not sure what the other was communicating but neither looked like it was there as a date for an article. The title page is 1868 and I think this then dates the volume presumptively as 1868 so someone arguing for 1869 has the burden to disprove 1868. There is a report of a meeting of December 27, 1868, which suggests a printing of at least these last few pages in 1869. But I think the best practices is to date the whole thing as prior to December 31, 1868. Add Silver Pheasant. Add Silver Pheasant. Add Silver Pheasant.

H&M4 (2013) is unchanged wrt H&M3 (2003)...
  • Caprimulgus climacurus nigricans (Salvadori, 1868)
  • Pterodroma defilippiana (Giglioli & Salvadori, 1869)
  • Pterodroma arminjoniana (Giglioli & Salvadori, 1869)
  • Pterodroma magentae (Giglioli & Salvadori, 1869)
But as Alan Peterson notes, all are from the same volume (p449, p453, p452, p451 respectively).

IOC Update

Pterodroma arminjoniana - 1868
Pterodroma defilippiana - 1868

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back