• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heron ID, Florida (1 Viewer)

Daddylion

The Daddy Lion
I am guessing this is either Little Blue or Reddish. Seen at Sanibell Island.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 100_0204.jpg
    100_0204.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 100_0226.jpg
    100_0226.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 80
The first is an adult Little Blue (reddish has a more pink and black beak, and the namesake throat color). The second is an immature... the only type of heron likely to be seen in the US with a combo of white with patchy blue. Also note the entirely green legs.

Also, if you watch the birds feed for a little while, you'll be able to distinguish them on that alone. The Reddish Egret does a rather frantic dance scaring up prey for its meal.

Thanks! I was suprised at how small the little blue and tri-colored herons as well as the snowy egrets were.

Ok, one description. I saw a large heron flying over thee road, completely dark colored, no markings. Any ideas?

Was it flying with it's neck held tucked in like a heron or straight out. Tucked in I would guess Great Blue heron if not maybe Sandhill Crane even though they are a little lighter (depending on where the sun was it could look darker).

The first photo is of a Little Blue Heron in breeding plumage. The second could be of a "1st spring" Little Blue Heron changing from white to blue--and judging by its size (in comparison to the mangrove leaves), I think it probably is. Little Blues are quite small while Great Blues are quite large.

Last edited:
The first photo is of a Little Blue Heron in breeding plumage. The second could be of a "1st spring" Little Blue Heron changing from white to blue--and judging by its size (in comparison to the mangrove leaves), I think it probably is. Little Blues are quite small while Great Blues are quite large.

I know, I was talking about the description (if that was directed toward what I said, if not never mind) :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back