• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi from New Zealand! (3 Viewers)

Nzcas

New Zealand
Hi, I’ve just found this forum and am thrilled to have somewhere to learn more about birds and be able to ask questions. I’ve just seen a bird in my garden that looks like it has a blackbirds body with the head of thrush. Have read an older thread from here that says it could be a young blackbird before it has shed its baby feathers. I had no idea that’s what they did!

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Birds going through molt can definitely look different than we are used to seeing them.

Hi Nzcas and a warm welcome from me too. Indeed all birds replace their feathers at least annually. Most passerine adults twice a year to show a breeding plumage and a winter one. Young ones will have several changes, from the downy nestling stage, then a juvenile plumage which is waterproof, generally looking like the female so the male doesn't attack them. Following that by the winter they will go into an immature phase, when you can usually tell if they're male or female. Some species are much more complicated though.

You can read more about the Eurasian Blackbird in our Opus article. Scroll to the bottom to see more pictures in the Gallery: Eurasian Blackbird - BirdForum Opus

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back