• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High power binoculars, the less well known meaning (1 Viewer)

kimmik

United Kingdom
What is a high power binocular?

Most people define it as magnifying power. 15x is higher power than 10x.

The other definition is light gathering power -

10x56 has greater power than 10x42, fairly straight forward.

But also, 10x56 has greater power than 15x56, due to the greater true FOV.

As far as I have ever read, light gathering “power” is determined solely by aperture. Can you cite something which shows otherwise?

Field of view has nothing to do with it.

Perhaps I misunderstood your post.

Last edited:
Exit pupil or some kind of calculation using the numbers to give some form of metric for low light/astro/other performance?

Peter

Hi Kimmik.

I think it usually refers to both high magnification and large objective size. For example the Nikon 18x70 if wp or fujinon 16x70 fmtr sx. For practical use (with a tripod mainly) they really need to go hand in hand or your going to be left with a pin prick of an exit pupil and a very dim view!

I'm at the sea side at the moment and have had the dubious pleasure of looking through a few of those heavy permanently mounted binoculars you often see at the end of piers round the English coast - the ones at the end of the pier in Hastings are free for a change! I'm not sure what there specification is but in general you can expect zero ipd adjustment, graffiti on the objectives, no diopter and a rusty "video" head with no lock off- they almost always have a high power to disappoint...

Will

It is a less well known meaning because you are the only individual I have ever come across that uses "high power" binoculars in the context of light gathering!

Thread '- The nominal luminous power of the binoculars:'

Handbook of optics, Bass 2009, reference manual for the optical society of America:

IMG_8939.jpeg

"The amount of flux which can be transmitted through a prism or other optical element depends on both its angular aperture and its cross-sectional area. The greater the amount of flux which can be transmitted, the better the throughput or light-gathering power (sometimes called
étendue or luminosity) of the system."

Having just skimmed that thread, I found it neither informative nor “enlightening“.

Maybe it’s me.

Oh well. One of those threads ....

Hermann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back