• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Book Review: The Binocular Handbook: Function Performance & Evaluation of Binoculars by Holger Merlitz. (2 Viewers)

View attachment 1547699

Hello Everyone,

I have the pleasure of presenting a review of Holger Merlitz's new book in English: The Binocular Handbook: Function, Performance & Evaluation of Binoculars
I hope you find it informative.
Kind Regards,
Neil.

Thank you so much, Neil, for reading and promoting my book! You even forgot to mention that your own book, Choosing & Using Binoculars, seems to be ready for shipping, too (if I am not mistaken)!

Some of you guys here may wonder how comes that Springer publishes two new binocular books practically at the same time. The answer is that these books are of perfectly complementary contents, with my book covering the theoretical and technical aspects, and Neil presenting countless examples, discussing their merits, and offering help about how to select and apply binoculars in various fields of applications. I don't yet have a review of his book ready, but I have seen a pre-production version of the manuscript (since I wrote its foreword) and I can promise that it will be great!

Cheers,
Holger

Interestingly Amazon Germany so far didn't manage to send me my copy (that I ordered months ago).

Oh well.

Hermann

I've had the original German edition for some years and must re-read some chapters after Mr. English's review.

I cancelled my order from Amazon UK because there is still no ETA and got the eBook version from Apple Books instead. In that version, there is an oddity: the foreword is clearly by Neil English but the bottom credits say "Holger Merlitz, Fintry, Scotland, UK, June 20, 2023" instead. At first, with the mention of Scotland I thought it may have been the late lamented Lee who'd written the foreword.

"Holger believes there are no binoculars containing Uppendahl prisms, but I have heard it on good authority that the little Leica Ultravid 8x and 10 x 25 may still be using such prisms."
That would be odd, since the prisms extend so far off the optical axis, giving the classic Trinovids their distinctive H-shape.

The 8x20/10x25 Ultravids use Schmidt-Pechan prisms, as you can see from the cutaway of the 10x25 and the more easily read cutaway of the 8x20 Monovid below.

The current Leica Geovid Rs still use what Leica calls a "Modified Uppendahl System", presumably because they are made by cementing only two prisms together rather than three. See the screen shot from a Geovid R marketing video below showing a production worker handing a modified Uppendahl prism in Leica's Portuguese factory.

Attachments

• Leica-Binoculars-Ultravid-10x25-BR.jpg
    Leica-Binoculars-Ultravid-10x25-BR.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 32
  • monocolo-leica-monovid-8-x-20.jpg
    monocolo-leica-monovid-8-x-20.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 6.39.49 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 6.39.49 PM.jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
In regard to Uppendahl prisms . . .

A) As used in the second generation version of the Leica Geovid rangefinder binocular:

Geovid 2nd Gen.jpg

The most recent body upgrade to the Geovid R is shown at: Upgraded Leica Geovid R Rangefinder Binoculars

B) And considering various claims as to the difficulty of manufacturing Uppendahl prisms, perhaps somewhat surprisingly,
Leica also uses the prism in their current 7x24 Rangemaster monocular rangefinder
(Leica used the more obscure Leman prism in a modified 2 piece form, in the earlier 7x21 version of the Rangemaster).

See both posts #9 and #14 (with the images in the intended order) at: Roof Prisms Used in Binoculars

John

p.s. There are three generations of Geovid RF binoculars, using different types of prisms (along with other components).
The first used Porro prisms, the second Uppendahl prisms, and the third Perger prisms.
Both the second and third generations are currently in production.
(See images of all 3 in post #251 at: 6 January 2022 - New Leica announcement )

Last edited:
I cancelled my order from Amazon UK because there is still no ETA and got the eBook version from Apple Books instead. In that version, there is an oddity: the foreword is clearly by Neil English but the bottom credits say "Holger Merlitz, Fintry, Scotland, UK, June 20, 2023" instead. At first, with the mention of Scotland I thought it may have been the late lamented Lee who'd written the foreword.

Seems Springer keeps on hiding some Easter eggs for us. Thanks for this one, it is recorded and will be reported to their production team.

Cheers,
Holger

In regard to Uppendahl prisms . . .

A) As used in the second generation version of the Leica Geovid rangefinder binocular:

View attachment 1548034

The most recent body upgrade to the Geovid R is shown at: Upgraded Leica Geovid R Rangefinder Binoculars

B) And considering various claims as to the difficulty of manufacturing Uppendahl prisms, perhaps somewhat surprisingly,
Leica also uses the prism in their current 7x24 Rangemaster monocular rangefinder
(Leica used the more obscure Leman prism in a modified 2 piece form, in the earlier 7x21 version of the Rangemaster).

See both posts #9 and #14 (with the images in the intended order) at: Roof Prisms Used in Binoculars

John

p.s. There are three generations of Geovid RF binoculars, using different types of prisms (along with other components).
The first used Porro prisms, the second Uppendahl prisms, and the third Perger prisms.
Both the second and third generations are currently in production.
(See images of all 3 in post #251 at: 6 January 2022 - New Leica announcement )

There is an Uppendahl in that 7x24 Rangemaster - a surprise indeed, thanks for the info! I have been semi-aware of the still present 2nd generation Geovid, but assumed that this would be old stock in the process of being phased out and soon to be replaced with the 3rd generation. If there are Uppendahls still in production, I don't understand Leica's lamentation about the difficulty of using these prisms in their Retrovid models.

Cheers,
Holger

If there are Uppendahls still in production, I don't understand Leica's lamentation about the difficulty of using these prisms in their Retrovid models.
No, it's mysterious. The comment suggested actual difficulty of production, not just cost and price point.

View attachment 1547699

Hello Everyone,

I have the pleasure of presenting a review of Holger Merlitz's new book in English: The Binocular Handbook: Function, Performance & Evaluation of Binoculars
Kind Regards,
Neil.
Hi Dipperdapper,

Why is your own book on hold at Springer? Trying to get one but so far no success.

Someone reported that Springer said „corrections“ need to be made before it can be printed again, What corrections is Springer talking about?

Dear Canip,

My apologies for the hiccup. Chapter 1 had some formula errors which I have asked the publication team to correct, hence the delay.

Full details here:

Regards,

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back