• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honeyeater, Cairns, Australia (1 Viewer)

Wiganlad

I thought this was a Brown Honeyeater in Cairns last November but I now notice the pale yellow mark is a short distance from the eye like the Graceful or Yellow-spotted Honeyeaters. Can anyone confirm which it is please. Many thanks in advance for any assistance. These are the best stills I can come up with from video.
brown honey.jpgbrown honey1.jpgbrown honey2.jpg

I think you are good with Brown. The location of the yellow mark is quite different in angle and shape from the other birds you mention.

Yes, it's a Brown Honeyeater. Very common in urban Cairns. I can hear the song in my head as I type this - they used to wake me up many mornings!

The greenish tinge to the wings is a very distinctive. They are also tiny compared with Yellow-spotted and Graceful - two altitudinal migrants that I used to see in Cairns in winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back