• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Lewin's Honeyeater? Queensland, Australia (2 Viewers)

Peewee95

Australia
Hello!

I took these photos of what I thought at the time was a Lewin's Honeyeater, but now upon review I'm not so sure!

To me it looks more like a Graceful Honeyeater, or possibly even a Yellow-spotted Honeyeater. The little tuft behind the eye is awfully small and doesn't really seem to fit into any of these species, the Lewin's being a crescent shape while the other two tend to be more like an oval, perhaps this is a juvenile? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Photos were taken in Brisbane, Queensland Australia for reference.

Cheers!

Lewin's_Honeyeater_Flower-3.jpg
Lewin's_Honeyeater_Flower-2.jpgLewin's_Honeyeater_Flower-1.jpg

Hi Peewee and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I don't think it's a Lewin's, but it appears to be a juvenile, still with a gape. I'll do a bit more research, but someone will be along soon to help you and they'll beat me to an ID LOL.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Peewee and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I don't think it's a Lewin's, but it appears to be a juvenile, still with a gape. I'll do a bit more research, but someone will be along soon to help you and they'll beat me to an ID LOL.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Cheers! My partner did some snooping and said it looks a lot like a Brown Honeyeater, which I'm inclined to agree with. Lmk what you think :)

Aaah!!! Now that one makes much more sense to me. Saw my first one at Sandy Camp Road Wetlands!!!

Here's a link to our Opus article; it will go to a picture of the Juvenile (a bit older than your one). You can see more images by clicking on the yellow search bar at the bottom of the page: Brown Honeyeater - BirdForum Opus

It took me a while to work out what Lmk meant LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back