• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Horned grebe's forehead (1 Viewer)

JayFeatherPL

Poland
People say that a great way to separate a horned grebe from a black-necked grebe in winter is to look at their foreheads. Horned grebes should have a slightly sloping forehead and the crown should be generally flat, while black-necked grebes should have a steep, almost vertical forehead. And that's true to most grebes, but take a look at this horned grebe (the first picture). It has a rounded head, not flat, with a steep forehead just like a black-necked grebe. Why? Why some horned grebes have a bookish, slightly sloping forehead and a flat crown and some have a steep forehead identically to a black-necked grebe? Actually, while looking at the black-necked grebes' pictures in the internet, I haven't found any black-necked grebe with a flat crown, so it's only a horned grebe which can have a similar head to a black-necked. I also upload a black-necked grebe to compare. Is it actually possible to ID these two grebes by their heads' shape?
The pictures aren't mine! The author of the first picture is Becky Matsubara. It's taken from this website: Horned Grebe
The second picture is taken from the BTO website: https://www.bto.org/understanding-birds/birdfacts/black-necked-grebe

Attachments

• horned-grebe_004_winter_california_nonbreeding_beckymatsubara_flickrccby-2.0_non-breeding-adult.jpeg
    horned-grebe_004_winter_california_nonbreeding_beckymatsubara_flickrccby-2.0_non-breeding-adult.jpeg
    598 KB · Views: 29
  • 00010_Black-necked Grebe_Liz Cutting.jpeg
    00010_Black-necked Grebe_Liz Cutting.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 29

Users who are viewing this thread

Back