• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many ....... Crows ........ have you seen? (1 Viewer)

sixty-eight (IOC)

still can't always tell a rook from a crow though

favourites: Magpie, Jay, Iberian Magpie, Turquoise Jay, Green Jay, New Caledonian Crow

Last edited:
People really consider crows dross!? Way off the mark even if you only consider the black ones.
My list, 20:
Carrion crow
Hooded crow
Rook
Raven
Brown-necked raven
Jackdaw
House crow
Fish crow
Northwestern crow (not that I could tell, location ID only)
Magpie
Yellow-billed magpie
Jay
Blue jay
Stellar's jay
Brown jay
Western-scrub jay
Yucatan jay
Nutcracker
Chough
Alpine chough

Love them all with the possible exception of rooks. They just seem a bit inelegant.

Michael

Mysticete, I am still looking for that Pinyon Jay too! Perhaps one of these days if and when I get out west again!

Mysticete said:
Should add Pinyon Jay this May at the CFO conference
What is the "CFO conference"? Are there Pinyon Jays in the area where the conference is being held?

Colorado Field Ornithologist Convention, which is held every year and this year is being held in Grand Junction. Pinyon Jay is supposedly common at Colorado NM and a couple of other sites on the field trip junket. Also hoping to pick up Chukar and some owls (Flammulated, Boreal, Northern Saw-whet, and Northern Pygmy Owl all possibilities)

I need to research my crows. There are hundreds of crows just outside our office, some blue-black, some brown.
But I know my Florida scrub-jays! can't get over how tame they act in the wild.

Depending on taxonomy a bit, but if I count Green and Inca Jay, and lump the Carrion and Hooded Crow assemblage, 42.
Collared Treepie, Sichuan Jay, Grey Crow and of course Pinyon Jay (at Devils Tower, Wyoming, Mysticete) are among the better ones I guess, although the five Cyanocorax species I've seen are prettiest!

Haven't left the uk and not been 'oop narth' so just the usuals:

Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Magpie
Jay
Rook
Chough (on Skomer Island)

also have seen what I thought was a Raven locally but couldn't be 100% sure, although someone else thought they also saw one in the same area so I think it may well have been.

Corvids are certainly fascinating birds, I really like watching the Crows on my patch and the local magpies. Always get a thrill when Jackdaws fly overhead when I'm in the garden too, I love the sound of their calls and great to watch them around Blakeney when I'm on holiday.

An "average" 70 according to the IOC list, i.e. counting just one palm crow in the Antilles (though I still marginally favour the two-species theory) with still quite a few to get in the Western Hemisphere (my main area of interest). Hopefully, I'll add two in June in Alaska, including the "pesky" Grey Jay, which I managed to miss in Ontario. The best ... is still to come, the new (undescribed) jay in southern Amazonia, when I finally get round to going for it.

I always get a certain amount of amusement (I am sure I am not the only one...) when birders list incredibly rare birds like an undescribed Jay or Hawaiian Crow on their lifelist, but still haven't seen something that locally is dirt common (Gray Jay).

:)

Last edited:
I always get a certain amount of amusement (I am sure I am not the only one...) when birders list incredibly rare birds like an undescribed Jay or Hawaiian Crow on their lifelist, but still haven't seen something that locally is dirt common (Gray Jay).

:)

It's surprising how many people here in the UK have got some stunningly rare birds on their list but are missing stuff that breeds here. I blame it all on the rise of twitching / ticking in the early '80s. It's nice to see that people do look at crows though :t:

Chris

There again, if you live on Hawai'i you're more likely to have seen Hawaiian Crow than Grey Jay ( sorry about the spelling of the last species - my fingers won't input an A. )

Last edited:
UK
Raven
rook
jackdaw ( nordic aswell )
carrion crow
hooded crow
jay
magpie
Chough

Poland
Nutcracker
jackdaw (polish race abit like nordic )

USA
american Crow
Stellers Blue jay
Western scrub Jay
yellow billed magpie
fish crow
black billed magpie

Here is my list, one of my favorite passerine families. The ones in the neotropics are superb and always high on my target list when I visit even if they are common!:

1) Steller's Jay California, USA
2) Blue Jay Florida, USA
3) White-throated Magpie-Jay Costa Rica
4) Green Jay Venezuela
5) Brown Jay Costa Rica
6) Violaceous Jay Ecuador
7) White-tailed Jay Ecuador
8) Turquoise Jay Ecuador
9) Azure-hooded Jay Costa Rica
10) Beautiful Jay Ecuador
11) Florida Scrub-Jay Florida, USA
12) Island Scrub-Jay California, USA
13) Western Scrub-Jay California, USA
14) Pinyon Jay California, USA
15) Yellow-billed Magpie California, USA
16) Clark's Nutcracker California, USA
17) American Crow Florida, USA
18) Fish Crow Florida, USA
19) Torresian Crow Australia
20) Australian Raven Australia
21) Little Raven Australia
22) Common Raven California, USA

Carlos

Crested Jay
Grey Jay
Turquoise Jay
White-throated Magpie-Jay
Brown Jay
Black-chested Jay
Green Jay
Bushy-crested Jay
Yucatan Jay
Purplish Jay
Violaceous Jay
Curl-crested Jay
Pinyon Jay
Steller's Jay
Blue Jay
Florida Jay
Santa Cruz Jay
Scrub Jay
Mexican Jay
Eurasian Jay
Azure-winged Magpie
Formosan Magpie
Blue Magpie
Short-tailed Magpie
Grey Treepie
Bornean Treepie
Common Magpie
Black-billed Magpie
Yellow-billed Magpie
Clark's Nutcracker
Red-billed Chough
Eurasian Jackdaw
Daurian Jackdaw
House Crow
Slender-billed Crow
Cape Rook (Crow)
Rook
American Crow
Northwestern Crow
(Antillean/Hispaniolan) Palm Crow
White-necked Crow
Jamaican Crow
Tamaulipas Crow
Fish Crow
Chihuahuan Raven
Carrion Crow
Hooded Crow
Large-billed Crow
Australian Raven
Collared Crow
Pied Crow
Fan-tailed Raven
Common Raven

That makes 53. Corvids are fun because you get lifers in the most "interesting" locations. For example, my lifer Eurasian Jackdaw was in the car park of a pub in Llangollen, Wales. And my lifer Daurian Jackdaw was at a chemical plant in Ulsan, Korea.

Last edited:
  1. Eurasian Jay Garrulus glandarius (Taiwan)
  2. Taiwan Blue Magpie Urocissa caerulea (Taiwan)
  3. Common Green Magpie Cissa chinensis (Thailand, Malaysia)
  4. Grey Treepie Dendrocitta formosae (Taiwan)
  5. Eurasian Magpie Pica pica (S. Korea, Taiwan, China)
  6. Spotted Nutcracker Nucifraga caryocatactes (Taiwan)
  7. House Crow Corvus splendens (Singapore/Malaysia, Thailand, South Africa)
  8. Slender-billed Crow Corvus enca (Philippines)
  9. Cape Crow Corvus capensis (South Africa)
  10. Rook Corvus frugilegus (S. Korea)
  11. Collared Crow Corvus pectoralis (Taiwan)
  12. Large-billed Crow Corvus macrorhynchos (Taiwan, S. Korea, China, Singapore/Malaysia)
  13. Pied Crow Corvus albus (South Africa)
  14. Common Raven Corvus corax (UK)
  15. White-necked Raven Corvus albicollis (South Africa)

1. Northwestern Crow
2. American Crow
3. Fish crow
4. Carriow/ hooded Crow(both)
5. Jackdaw
6. Common Raven
7. Eurasian jay
8. Blue jay
9. Stellar's jay
10. Western scrub jay
11. Pinyon jay
12. Yucatan jay
13. Green jay
14. Brown jay
15. Black-billed Magpie
16. Yellow-billed Magpie
17. Clark's Nutcracker
18. Gray jay
Seen in various parts of north america, cancun, frankfurt, and florence

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back