• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how many Neomorphus (Neotropical Ground Cuckoos) have you seen? (1 Viewer)

COLOMBIA Birding

Colombia
ey guys... we were discussing on facebook with Bill Porteus and Josh Beck and wondered if anyone has seen the 5 species of Neomorphus ground cuckoos here in the New World Tropics...

to start this thread, let's state there are 5 species (although some only recognize 4):

Rufous-vented Ground-Cuckoo (Neomorphus geoffroyi)
[Scaled Ground-Cuckoo (Neomorphus squamiger)]
Banded Ground-Cuckoo (Neomorphus radiolosus)
Rufous-winged Ground-Cuckoo (Neomorphus rufipennis)
Red-billed Ground-Cuckoo (Neomorphus pucheranii)

let's hear your responses and have fun!

NOTE: YOU CAN ALSO PARTICIPATE OR CHECK THE RESPONSES VIA FACEBOOK ON THE NEOTROPICAL BIRD CLUB PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/31491408108/10154430429558109

Last edited:
Myself, I have only seen 2 species, but kinda the harder ones ;-) :

Rufous-winged Ground-Cuckoo (Neomorphus rufipennis) in Surama, Guyana
Red-billed Ground-Cuckoo (Neomorphus pucheranii) in the white-sand forests of Mitú, Colombia

I would include Old World ground-cuckoos (Coral-billed, Sumatran and Bornean)

I have seen 2.
Coral-billed in Khao Yai and Rufous-vented at Amazonia lodge.
I think I know some guys who have seen all of the New World species including Scaled.

Red-billed is obviously the hardest one.
Scaled is still do-able. at this one place in Alta Floresta?
Banded is hard, again, but not impossible in the right places, it seems.
Rufous-winged is do-able in the right places.
Rufous-vented is a bit like Banded, no? (like in: has been twitchable in a certain time frame, but hard these days?)

One, Rufous-vented. But several of those, including two young ones pretty much black in colour. Occasionally a yard bird in our bit of forest. Miserable failure on Rufous-winged - heard but not seen at Surama. Too lazy/poor to go and try for the others!

Neomorphus numbers been updated...
03 people with 4 species
04 people with 3 species
26 people with 2 species
47 people with 1 species
06 people have seen Scaled
08 people have seen Red-billed
26 people have seen Rufous-winged
26 people have seen Banded
60 people have seen Rufous-vented
this is fun! 💥💥💥💥
go to and comment if you want to be listed:

One for me, Rufous-winged Ground-Cuckoo in Guyana, bad outline sighting (compared to everyone else in the group that got scope views), but the bill snapping as it roamed towards us and then disappeared is unforgettable.

One for me: Rufous-vented Ground Cuckoo in Panama. Three individuals working an ant swarm within about ten yards. They were completely oblivious to the members of my group and we actually left before they disappeared. One of the greatest and most exciting moments of my birding life.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back